Mhk's...and Their Election Promises

Albert Tatlock

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing todays news mention immigration rules in the uk reminded me that a lot of MHKS promised to address our immigration problems it was the big topic for most of them. The radio and papers were full of calls, letters and articles about the subject. has it ever been mentioned since cos i cant remember hearing about it since. Was it or is it such a major problem? where's all the new legislation and resident controls?

Seeing todays news mention immigration rules in the uk reminded me that a lot of MHKS promised to address our immigration problems it was the big topic for most of them. The radio and papers were full of calls, letters and articles about the subject. has it ever been mentioned since cos i cant remember hearing about it since. Was it or is it such a major problem? where's all the new legislation and resident controls?

It was outlined in my manifesto! So good, even the UK Government copied it.

Sorry, couldn't resist, I'll get my coat....

They never will achieve their manifesto pledges. They seem to have no vision or imagination, will to succed or ambition. They all seem to aim low and fall short every time. I believe that our government (local and national, elected and employed) is a huge quango full of freeloaders interspersed with a few hardworking individuals who become ground down by the 'system'!

It was outlined in my manifesto! So good, even the UK Government copied it.

Sorry, couldn't resist, I'll get my coat....

I am the ghost of the past, coming to haunt you:

dsc06271gu7.jpg

They never will achieve their manifesto pledges. They seem to have no vision or imagination, will to succed or ambition. They all seem to aim low and fall short every time. I believe that our government (local and national, elected and employed) is a huge quango full of freeloaders interspersed with a few hardworking individuals who become ground down by the 'system'!

You're a very negative person, aren't you?

I am the ghost of the past, coming to haunt you:

I was in the Empress the other week for some meetings, memory of that night came flooding back. Interestingly, it wasn't the only time I was criticised for being too smooth when giving a talk during that election campaign. I wonder what they'll say this time around....

Peel MHK Tim Crookall

"What are your main local issues?

We have had around 400 new properties built around the Town recently. It is time to stop and take a look at what is happening before we allow any more,ecspecially on the scale that is planned. "

I must have missed the slowing up of the build programme...........We are now getting to the stage that the amenities can't cope and they are still building! :(

Amadeus, should you not also show a picture of your standing at the last election as well as Steve Babb's? :D

Yes, I was there too..............

You're a very negative person, aren't you?

Not really, I just tell it like it is. Show me one dynamic project which would put the Island on the map? And I don't mean maintaining the basic infrastructure and raising the funds to do it. Show me something I can do at weekends when I have visitors who have seen all the scenery and don't want to wander around third rate pubs and clubs paying top dollar for crap facilities!

Not really, I just tell it like it is. Show me one dynamic project which would put the Island on the map? And I don't mean maintaining the basic infrastructure and raising the funds to do it. Show me something I can do at weekends when I have visitors who have seen all the scenery and don't want to wander around third rate pubs and clubs paying top dollar for crap facilities!

Extend the runway at Jurby to build a modern fully function motorsports area which can cater for cars and bikes on tarmac with autocross and supermoto using a central turf area, extending this to allow motocross. That can then be marketed to encourage the likes of BTTC and national event series, in particular events druing TT week that could meet the safety requirements of the major manufacturers/riders, ensuring the motorsporting tradition of the Island would continue for years to come. then offer tax breaks (similar to the Film industry) to encourage research and development centres to be established at the hangar complex up there, including the establishment of a small private airfield. Likely cost, very expensive, much of which will be spent on the Island by tendered contractors giving back a portion in the form of tax, as well as generating new jobs and much increased positive coverage for the Island.

Oh, no, better idea. Build a prison there instead.

Extend the runway at Jurby to build a modern fully function motorsports area which can cater for cars and bikes on tarmac with autocross and supermoto using a central turf area, extending this to allow motocross. That can then be marketed to encourage the likes of BTTC and national event series, in particular events druing TT week that could meet the safety requirements of the major manufacturers/riders, ensuring the motorsporting tradition of the Island would continue for years to come. then offer tax breaks (similar to the Film industry) to encourage research and development centres to be established at the hangar complex up there, including the establishment of a small private airfield. Likely cost, very expensive, much of which will be spent on the Island by tendered contractors giving back a portion in the form of tax, as well as generating new jobs and much increased positive coverage for the Island.

Oh, no, better idea. Build a prison there instead.

Exactly...see my posts on this subject from last year! Mind you not sure Jurby is the best venue but better than nothing at all!

Slightly back on thread, I am disappointed that the manifestos (and therefore some very good ideas) of unsuccessful candidates are simply ignored by the successful candidates.

Without this sounding like sour grapes, it strikes me that it's both shortsighted and seemingly insecure of those who did win positions to ignore their opponents from that point onwards. If they looked at those manifestos and thought back to the hustings to guage which suggestions were popular and seemed practical, they could pick up some very good ideas that we would all benefit from. Much better to be inclusive than lock yourself in an ivory tower and assume you have all the answers (or alternatively, why not benefit from other people's hard work and ideas).

Of course we should remember that following the decision by the UK government not to hold a referendum on Europe some Brighton judge said a manifesto is not a legally binding document but purely political.

So, it's okay for them to let the electorate down and renege on pledges - more so because few people can be arsed voting or vote based habit or personality.

Slightly back on thread, I am disappointed that the manifestos (and therefore some very good ideas) of unsuccessful candidates are simply ignored by the successful candidates.

Without this sounding like sour grapes, it strikes me that it's both shortsighted and seemingly insecure of those who did win positions to ignore their opponents from that point onwards. If they looked at those manifestos and thought back to the hustings to guage which suggestions were popular and seemed practical, they could pick up some very good ideas that we would all benefit from. Much better to be inclusive than lock yourself in an ivory tower and assume you have all the answers (or alternatively, why not benefit from other people's hard work and ideas).

Have you contacted any of your MHK's? Peter Karen has asked some of what was in mine, just yesterday he asked about whether we should be in or out of europe!

Most MHK's who have got in, use generalisations in their manifiestos so that they are unlikely to have to to be held to do something that they have promised! Anyway there is always next time and if they don't do what they say it is up to the people to do something about it......... ;)

Archived