[BBC News] Concerns over child tooth decay

Newsbot

Funny how this comes out when the flouride issue is coming to a close in Feb?

I was only asking my NHS dentist the other day when booking my annual check up when I can register my 16 month old son who now has 10 teeth, the reply - when he is 3!!!! No wonder there can be problems if they wait this long.

Good job I have a dentist in the family who is in the UK and can check for me. My family dentist did also advise that I get flouride drops to add to water etc to give specifically and would recommend this over a mass flouridation of the water!

Tooth decay among five-year-olds is worse on the Isle of Man than in the mainland UK, figures show.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7215389.stm

This is not a new situation. It has always been bad over here.

The Oral Health Strategy commissioned in 1997 has never been implemented.

Report by Mr Tony Jenner and Mr Martin Tinkler completed in May 1998. Ask DHSS for a copy.

Went out to public consultation in January 2000.

Very good recommendations but not acted upon.

Does that sound familiar?

• 3 months later...

Can't argue with that manxie except to say the five year olds worst affected are unlikely to ask for fluoride drops. Their parents certainly won't or else this decay problem wouldn't happen in the first place.

If only everyone really cared for their health/didn't smoke/didn't eat 'orrible sugary foods and drinks/weren't overweight/excercised etc etc. That only happens in utopia not the IOM.

Can't argue with that manxie except to say the five year olds worst affected are unlikely to ask for fluoride drops. Their parents certainly won't or else this decay problem wouldn't happen in the first place.

If only everyone really cared for their health/didn't smoke/didn't eat 'orrible sugary foods and drinks/weren't overweight/excercised etc etc. That only happens in utopia not the IOM.

CRAP!!!! lol, hey, this island is my utopia, that's why I'm so disappointed at the fluoridation...

Parents may ask for the drops, if the dental education is in place...

CRAP!!!! lol

Sorry manxie you're going to have to explain that a bit better.

Do you really think there has never been any dental health education on the island? Well there has and there is still a big problem. Its a sad fact of life that the most vulnerable are the least likely to listen to any health education especially dental health education.

CRAP!!!! lol

Sorry manxie you're going to have to explain that a bit better.

Do you really think there has never been any dental health education on the island? Well there has and there is still a big problem. Its a sad fact of life that the most vulnerable are the least likely to listen to any health education especially dental health education.

Surely the most vunerable are those who will be drinking 2 litres of water a day... IMHO

OK manxie that's your opinion. My opinion is that a five year old being gassed is infinitely (by a HUGE factor) in more danger than someone drinking two litres of fluoridated water a day. Explain your theory in more detail just in case I've misunderstood.... I'm not sure on the latest figures but there were about 8 GA deaths a year(in the British isles) due to anaesthetics for dental procedures. Are there more deaths than this solely related to drinking 2 litres of fluoridated water a day? Really?

If ALL parents instituted a proper teeth cleaning routine for their little darlings, would this not have an effect?

Oh and stop allowing their offspring to stuff so many sweets.

Oh naughty me, I've dared suggest parental responsibility tsk tsk.

I think ballaugh biker has hit the nail on the head as you could die from gassing children. I think if there was a sacrificial child gassed whilst having there teeth done then we would be all up in arms and then we would have to have flouride as a knee jurk reaction. I know this doesnt sound very pleasant but sometimes, especially if the government are even now using the BBC to feed their thoughts, then you have to take some drastic steps to educate us into how it should really be.

Sometimes the trooth hurts but dont blame the messenger is what I say.

If ALL parents instituted a proper teeth cleaning routine for their little darlings, would this not have an effect?

Oh and stop allowing their offspring to stuff so many sweets.

Oh naughty me, I've dared suggest parental responsibility tsk tsk.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Archived