Great Old-fashioned Sweet Shop

Fossils

Has anyone else sampled the delights of Memory Lane, the great little sweet shop that opened recently in the centre of Castletown? I found it on Saturday and have eaten so many old favourites that I'm feeling sick now.

My top choice was Edinburgh Rock - those lovely, fruity, melt-in-the-mouth sweets.

What's your favourite?

sweet-jars.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmmm love edinburgh rock. I discovered our SU shop sold it for 10p a stick, i made myself feel sick by eating too much :(

I'm a fan of the Everton mint although you can't beat a good rhubarb and custard!! I tried an irn-bru flavoured boiled sweet the other day and it was gorgeous, i may have to find somewhere that sells them.

I'm back over in a few weeks, may have to investigate this place!

Has anyone else sampled the delights of Memory Lane, the great little sweet shop that opened recently in the centre of Castletown? I found it on Saturday and have eaten so many old favourites that I'm feeling sick now.

My top choice was Edinburgh Rock - those lovely, fruity, melt-in-the-mouth sweets.

What's your favourite?

sweet-jars.jpg

So much for the IOM Government's Dental Health Strategy.

Oh my lord - that's my Saturday sorted. I'm going to have an orgy of cola cubes, Tom Thumb drops and peanut brittle.

Nothing could ever top the sweetshop near the seafront in Largs though - has anyone ever been there? It's mind-boggling. The Scots are the kings of confectionary.

Went down there just after it opened and it's ace.

Very nice folk in there running it too.

If they haven't got what you're after, ask them and they add stuff to a list to see if they can get it.

Bring on the cola-rolaballs... (I hope)

Where in Castletown is it? My wife grew up in Arbory Road/Street whatever and always remembers fondly an old sweet shop in the same road near the main square in the early 70s which had a 'penny tray'. And they made homemade ice cream which she says has never been matched - when the folk who ran it retired they took their recipe with them.

Archived