[BBC News] Public urged to back horse trams

Newsbot

Mr Christian said if people wanted to help reduce the burden to ratepayers, they should buy tickets more often

Once you've gone up and down the prom once that's about it really. What are they realistically expecting?

Sure, I'll save them, only if the Queens pier gets built though.

Could do with getting rid of those scruffy conductors for sure. At £7:95 an hour don't they realise they are in the public eye and get a clean jacket at least. And as for swearing at the motorists that have the temerity to overtake them, well.

It's all very well these relics going up and down the prom to try to maintain some tenuous link with the glorious Victorian past. Not the first choice of image I'd like to be conveyed to the world, but I don't really care that much. However, the thought of actually sitting on one freezing to death, trying to read a newspaper but failing, thanks to the wind and the driving rain and having some manky great beast turning it's minging arse inside out within a few feet of my seat doesn't appeal to me at all. I'd rather walk or take the bus.

The Mooragh used to have a little train running about it, nobody complained when that was scrapped.

I quite like the horse trams, aside from giving the conductors a chance to chat up any fit birds who happen to travel by that means, (Health and Safety says they can't stand on the running board any longer) they slow the traffic down to below 30mph, so giving perambulators a chance to cross the road.

The rolling stock have bloody good bearings and so, once the tram is in motion the horse doesn't need to work very hard at all.

If us humans took as much excercise, we would not be as fat and rotund as we are.

Archived