Riverdance Sinking

cheeky boy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to hear everyone on board was rescued safely, and well done to the rescue teams involved.

It makes u wonder how strong the freak waves were to knock Riverdance so far from the shipping lane (you can tell I am about 30 miles inland!!) but when you are in Blackpool and look out to sea, the ships too-ing and fro-ing from Heysham/Fleetwood are virtually a dot on the horizon.

Even though I worked the IOM Heysham rounte for a few years just wondered how far off the shipping lane Riverdance was? Anyone got a map/plan of the shipping lanes in that area?

Don't know why !but I keep getting visions of "Michael Flatley" wearing a lifejacket and dancing on the wheelhouse roof with the rest of the crew?

It's because the boat has the same name as Flatley's dancing show.

*runs*

It's because the boat has the same name as Flatley's dancing show.

*runs*

If you were any sharper you would cut yourself ;)

With a banana!

Glad to hear everyone on board was rescued safely, and well done to the rescue teams involved.

It makes u wonder how strong the freak waves were to knock Riverdance so far from the shipping lane (you can tell I am about 30 miles inland!!) but when you are in Blackpool and look out to sea, the ships too-ing and fro-ing from Heysham/Fleetwood are virtually a dot on the horizon.

Even though I worked the IOM Heysham rounte for a few years just wondered how far off the shipping lane Riverdance was? Anyone got a map/plan of the shipping lanes in that area?

It apparently lost all power after being hit by the freak wave then drifted into the bay to become beached. You can see from the ais here the course it takes, it wasn't off it's normal route (if you look at previous days sailings) when it lost power and you can see the quick loss of power and the slow drifting towards shore.

http://www.aisliverpool.org.uk/shiptrail.p...p;date=20080131

Can anyone enlighten me on this "freak wave" thing ?

I have live in sight of the Irish sea for most of my fifty years and made my living on it and from it for some of that time

I have seen big waves, small waves, long waves, short waves, but never a "freak wave"

Other than the Tsunami I don't think they exist

Unless you go fishing with Homarus, who will actively seek them out

Can anyone enlighten me on this "freak wave" thing ?

I have live in sight of the Irish sea for most of my fifty years and made my living on it and from it for some of that time

I have seen big waves, small waves, long waves, short waves, but never a "freak wave"

Other than the Tsunami I don't think they exist

Unless you go fishing with Homarus, who will actively seek them out

It may have been exaggerated by the media in this case, but I have heard about freak waves. I think they are usually a couple of massive waves in already a big swell, buit up over time and distance. I remember Horizon doing a program on them a while back, called 'Freak Wave'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2002/freakwave.shtml

Some video of bigger waves in already heavy swell:

Might have been enough to knock out some power on the Riverdance.

Still not having this freak wave bollocks for the Irish sea

Spoke to Rick Tomlinson once about his experience in the southern ocean aboard a Whitbread 60, his account of sliding down a six story high wave and burying the boat in the "green room" at the bottom killed any romantic notions I may have had about long distance yachting

But I doubt that seriously big waves could be generated in our violent but small, shallow sea

Still not having this freak wave bollocks for the Irish sea

Spoke to Rick Tomlinson once about his experience in the southern ocean aboard a Whitbread 60, his account of sliding down a six story high wave and burying the boat in the "green room" at the bottom killed any romantic notions I may have had about long distance yachting

But I doubt that seriously big waves could be generated in our violent but small, shallow sea

It is theoretically possible, in certain conditions, for a "freak wave" (an unusual one) to build all the way from the South Atlantic and arrive, virtually uninterrupted, off Blackpool.

Archived