Website Of Man

slinkydevil

The website was hardly finished as it was just a single image. There was no voting system in place and you yourself have described it as a holding page, even now that the right image is up.

You're doing some sort of marketing degree aren't you? Make sure you show your tutor this disaster.

A holding page is to hold the page until the competition begins!...Whilst entrants are informed and enter, as the instructions did say 'website coming soon.'

I have not done a Marketing degree no, although it does feature modularly in my MSc.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is a bit off, usually any mention of peoples real personal info etc is removed from the forum. I know Ali posts under his real name and has responded to the criticisim (who wouldn't) but for everyone especially a mod to rip him to shreads is out of order in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of his current work, but at least he's having a go at doing some stuff, putting him self out there trying to be entrepreneurial, and not just gobbing off on a forum hiding behind anonymity. Or out there being anti social and getting in trouble like some other blokes his age.

He's not on here whinging about come overs stealing his job, he's finding his way in the world and trying to use his skills to be sucessful. After a few bad websites or ideas, he might come up with a winner and be a sucess.

I think he deserves some positive encouragement rather than a public slating.

Keep at it Ali, I wish you sucess.

I think it is a bit off, usually any mention of peoples real personal info etc is removed from the forum. I know Ali posts under his real name and has responded to the criticisim (who wouldn't) but for everyone especially a mod to rip him to shreads is out of order in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of his current work, but at least he's having a go at doing some stuff, putting him self out there trying to be entrepreneurial, and not just gobbing off on a forum hiding behind anonymity. Or out there being anti social and getting in trouble like some other blokes his age.

He's not on here whinging about come overs stealing his job, he's finding his way in the world and trying to use his skills to be sucessful. After a few bad websites or ideas, he might come up with a winner and be a sucess.

I think he deserves some positive encouragement rather than a public slating.

Keep at it Ali, I wish you sucess.

Thank you, i think?!?

My creative work has got me through Uni financially and given me access to some amazing jobs and experiences so i am not worried about what some people think, others (more important employment wise) i do.

yeah, from Castle Mona Avenue, good family friend, in fact my mother came to the Island to work for his father.

Its in that book Holiday Isle.

Did he have any children you know of i could relate to?

Always interesting to hear about the Bancroft clan.

He had 2 sons as i remember, i never met them. They would be in their fourties now. Eddie was a carpetfitter but the family had guest houses in CM avenue and on Broadway, i have memories of being in their house in CM Ave, bout 1956.

Eddie is best remembered as a freemason, he was really well thought of up there.

He had 2 sons as i remember, i never met them. They would be in their fourties now. Eddie was a carpetfitter but the family had guest houses in CM avenue and on Broadway, i have memories of being in their house in CM Ave, bout 1956.

Eddie is best remembered as a freemason, he was really well thought of up there.

Sounding very familiar. I never knew my Grandad well at all on that side of the family as he became very ill and had split up with my Nana, but i remember my Nana and Father talking about owning a guest house on Broadway. Two sons... in there 50's, potentially? Ian and Phil?

Yeah sounds like your Grandad, he did split with his wife in the seventies.

I was very fond of Eddie, he was actually chasing my mother but my father to be warned him off :rolleyes: romance eh!

Eddie was a diabetic in his latter years and lost his lower limbs but fought like a badger, going to his lodge meetings in his wheelchair, we used to carry them both up the stairs [for a drink of course ]

Yeah, a good guy, i miss him.

"You should really be admitting to creating a turd of a website with no apparent point. Using Frames(!). And a single 270k image. Did you learn anything at college?"

"Arggggghhhh! I've seen some stinkers, but it's not often I see a website so badly designed that it makes me want to vomit, and the situation is only exacerbated by the irony that its purpose is to reward good website design.

I'm sorry, but that's as constructive as I'm going to get on this one. If it was a horse I'd shoot it."

What a bunch of bastards you are. There's constructive criticism and there's shooting someone down just because you can. It always seems to be the way that really talented people tend to be gracious to those who are having a go at something; it's the ones who haven't go anything to shout about that get a cheap kick out of knocking other people. Unfortunately it's the latter group who are fucking rife on the Isle of Man!

^^^

I agree about constructive criticism, but this is about the third or fourth website we have seen form the same guy. He hasn't listened to any constructive criticism.

If you are learning your trade or aquiring a skill then fine, but to make a press release to something that doesn't exist (or rather just a holding page) and then to get even the holding page wrong just smacks at stupidity. Ironically doing so for a web site that judges good and intuative design.

If no press release was made nothing would have been picked up on - ie we wouldn't have known.

He says "I am not trained or experienced in web design", but then says on his portfolio site: "My web site design clients include large corporations and one person operations building sites that suits the company and their budget."

Linktome.html is working for me in three browser, IE, Firefox and safari.

If you are so concerned please do the kindest thing... and help. It is set up for fun, and for free. The prize has been put forward, although not expensive, it should hopefully entice some people. I am not trained or experienced in web design. I can do nothing but apologise for my grammar but it is only a forum; i am not being assessed. I also have little time on my hands as i am doing my Master degree (not in website design i may add), so all help would be appreciative.

Sorry, and thank you.

Looks like the Linktome was off for some reason, anyway it's fine now :-)

Ad for help - reading the link I sent is a *very* good place to start, there are links there which are well worth reading.

Doesn't work for me and neither do any of the mentioned websites surrounding the image.

Archived