I Hope Nobodys Roof Has Been Left Half Finished In This Weather!

spermann

From the Energyfm web site:

Claims building firm boss has vanished

Staff at a Douglas building firm claim the company’s boss has vanished leaving them without work or pay.

The Department of Trade and Industry confirms it’s become aware of a situation involving Alex McDowell Roofing and Building Contractors.

Workers claim the warehouse on the Spring Valley Industrial Estate was locked up when they turned up for work this week and say their employer’s home looks to have been left empty.

DTI Minister David Cretney says his department will help relocate three apprentices and doesn’t think this will prove too much of a problem.

He adds other staff members will helped to find new employment through the job centre.

If it’s ascertained the firm has stopped trading, it will be taken off the DTI’s Approved Contractors List.

Last Updated:31/01/2008 18:05:07

I assume that this is the same company that had almost permanent ads and competitions running on Energy FM over the whole of December?

If that is the case what a brilliant ploy - generate loads of publicity showing that your business is growing then generate loads of enquiries to distract your staff with - then when they least expect it bugger off.

This is why i always use "manx" companies less chance of them buggering off because they are firmly rooted here lol :D

This seems to happen every year, its very hard to do anything because its a civil matter.

If you make sure you contract a company that has been trading longer than 5 years you are usually ok.

Also never pay lump sums, just a deposit to cover the materials etc at the start and a final payment at the end, i have always done that with anyone i get and not had fingers burnt yet

Archived