Microsoft Makes Offer For Yahoo

Bauer21

I know Yahoo is used little over here, but in Asia and other markets it has massive marketshare in the marktes its in (email, search, IM, flickr etc.). Yahoo's often underrated in the UK and Europe, people have grown up with\are used to MSN and Google.

This is it really. Different markets use different products. For example, instant messaging in the UK is largely done by MSN, while in Europe ICQ is dominant and in America, AIM is the leader. I did some lookups on webmail usage around the world last week for something and if I remember right, Yahoo were the biggest worldwide too.

It's a helluva price though.

while in Europe ICQ is dominant

That ICQ even still exists is far more earth shattering news than Microsoft bidding for Yahoo! Middle aged women talking about pets and baking, and the creepy stalker/troll friendly random chat feature - who knew these could form the basis of a thriving market?

That ICQ even still exists is far more earth shattering news than Microsoft bidding for Yahoo!

I actually preferred the ICQ client before it turned into a bloated mess. Gradually though, everyone I knew migrated to MSN. I don't even run my client any more for old friends who didn't.

Still massively popular in Europe though last I heard, but this may have changed in more recent times.

I never saw MSN as that popular until recently, most people I knew tended to use Yahoo! Messenger.

Granted the ICQ logo that turned into a cat was awesome, but the sheer number of different quacking, bell ringing, glass breaking and honking noises that it made whenever you received a message or file was enough to prejudice me against it. Having a conversation ended up sounding like a riot in a mental asylum, with ducks.

Archived