Support For Supports

Lonan3

LINK

Two community support officers confronted by an aggressive 13-year-old locked themselves in a room and called for help.

The part-time Police Community Support Officers were summoned to a disturbance in a referral centre for juveniles in Plymouth.

But they were forced to hide and call for back up when the teenager became abusive, reports the Daily Telegraph.

Geoffrey Cox, Conservative MP for West Devon, where the incident happened, said it highlights the "limited value" of PCSOs.

He said: "These officers cannot fill the shoes of a policeman.

"But they will always be of extremely limited value in dealing with serious incidents, even run of the mill incidents like this. This illustrates their limited value."

Sharon Taylor, Assistant Chief Constable of Devon and Cornwall police, said the PCSOs "did the right thing".

"We don't intentionally put them into situations to deal with violent confrontations issues because they are not trained to deal with them," she said.

Altogether now: "You can't trust a special like an old time copper...."

Geoffrey Cox, Conservative MP for West Devon, where the incident happened, said it highlights the "limited value" of PCSOs.

"But they will always be of extremely limited value in dealing with serious incidents, even run of the mill incidents like this. This illustrates their limited value."

I'll bet he's spent a lot of time in referral centres, he's talking out of his tory arse here. I don't blame them for not tackling him, get a real copper with a truncheon, twat the little bastard.

get a real copper with a truncheon, twat the little bastard.

Tsk tsk - old school. Not allowed to do things like that these days. Most un pc.

Worked though didn't it?

PCSOs are a joke - a bad one - as much use as a chocolate teapot.

LINK

Two community support officers confronted by an aggressive 13-year-old locked themselves in a room and called for help.

The part-time Police Community Support Officers were summoned to a disturbance in a referral centre for juveniles in Plymouth.

But they were forced to hide and call for back up when the teenager became abusive, reports the Daily Telegraph.

Sharon Taylor, Assistant Chief Constable of Devon and Cornwall police, said the PCSOs "did the right thing".

"We don't intentionally put them into situations to deal with violent confrontations issues because they are not trained to deal with them," she said.

Altogether now: "You can't trust a special like an old time copper...."

I didn't think the PCSO were specials. PCSO are paid, aren't they?

I don't think this case demonstrate the worth of PCSOs but rather their utility. They should not have been sent to this referral centre if they are not able to deal with the situation. Sending them there just seems stupid to me. These PCSOs should only response to incidents that are within their remit of responsibility. I thought that was the reasoning behind the PCSOs, that is they leave the police to deal with what are deemed more serious crimes.

Tsk tsk - old school. Not allowed to do things like that these days. Most un pc.

Worked though didn't it?

PCSOs are a joke - a bad one - as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I don't know about whether truncheons worked or not. I do not know about their use but I thought they were only used when a citizen used violence against a police officer. I thought officers were still allowed to use batons. I don't see how political correctness has anything to do with it.

Whilst walking through Salford I was stopped by two PCSOs who thought wanted to impart their wisdom on how dangerous Salford is and how vulnerable I looked! It is their job and I suppose their comments were well meaning but I did think it was rude to stop me in the street as their whole attitude was that they knew better than I did, even though I had lived in the area for five years.

Archived