Come The Glorious Day

%age

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps we should now consider going one step further and banning the sale and consumption of alcohol from Public Houses.

This dangerous drug causes anti-social behaviours, is a major factor in the incidence of crime (such as violence against the person), can cause untold misery via domestic abuse and also means millions of pounds of of Health Service is spent in the treatment of alcohol-related illnesses...though not enough to save some people.

Yet we are happy for this "activity" to be conducted legally. Probably as it's taxed.

Brother has a pub, he's complaining about the lack of pub-goers but doesn't put it down to the Smoking ban, but down to Tescos, Asda, Morrisons and Sainsburys et al all selling beer at silly prices. Before Xmas his local supermarket was selling 20 tins Guinness for £15, 20 Cans Lager £12. He says how can you compete with that when the Brewers and Gov give you a minimum price to sell at? He can't go out to the Supermarket and buy beer which is being sold at less than he buys it at to resell again as he'd get kicked out of his pub.

So the closures aren't just down to the smoking ban.

Spot on, its a combination of this, home cinemas/games consoles/t'internet, lack of sports subs in pubs, competition from resteraunts/cafe's. The smoking ban just part of a whole bunch of things that go against pubs these days.

Perhaps we should now consider going one step further and banning the sale and consumption of alcohol from Public Houses.

This dangerous drug causes anti-social behaviours, is a major factor in the incidence of crime (such as violence against the person), can cause untold misery via domestic abuse and also means millions of pounds of of Health Service is spent in the treatment of alcohol-related illnesses...though not enough to save some people.

Yet we are happy for this "activity" to be conducted legally. Probably as it's taxed.

Being drunk and disorderly isn't legal. Violence againsta person isn't legal. Domestic abuse isn't legal.

Utter rubbish.

I enjoy this "activity", sitting down with a few mates, enjoying the taste of a real ale, having a chat (oh and a few fags - for the minute anyway). What's so wrong with that?

just because of a small group of ppl cant handle there drink,

not everybody gos out and beats the hell out of ppl,

Utter rubbish.

I enjoy this "activity", sitting down with a few mates, enjoying the taste of a real ale, having a chat (oh and a few fags - for the minute anyway). What's so wrong with that?

Yeah I really enjoy it too...I was being slightly facetious as I'm a smoker (though happy to puff away outside esp after reading the vitriol of earlier posts!). There's double standards re tobacco consumption and the consumption of any other "drug".

There's double standards re tobacco consumption and the consumption of any other "drug".

No, there isn't. It would seem that's all smokers have to cling on to from reading previous posts.

I have never had any problems with drunks in the years I've been going to pubs, if I don't want a drink I don't have one. Smoking however is different, non smokers come home stinking, wake up coughing, eyes hurting and your room smells like an ashtray. I used to think that the grogginess associated with a night out was solely down to alcohol consumption, then I stopped drinking and the only thing that changed was my head didn't hurt so much. I still had a horrible cough, sore eyes and a nasty taste in my mouth. Plus, passive smoking causes health problems, I don't see how that can be denied.

Just after the ban was introduced in the UK, I had a meeting in a London pub, actually its the biggest shithole I have ever been in and if you were making a film set of it you couldnt exagerate how awful it was, so me in my shirt and tie looked a tad out of place, most people piled into the back yard as I sat nervously nursing my drink, then 2 absolute scroats advised me to leave while I still could in one piece. I asked what the problem was and they said ' we know your the smoking police' !! When I convinced them that I wasnt everyone piled back in and sparked up again! Good luck to whoever had to implement the ban there :P

Archived