[BBC News] Tesco holds island farming talks

Newsbot

Nothing to say that Tesco are to buy the old factory and turn it into a Tesco Express on the Ramsey Road. Tut Tut peel towm Commissioners why keep it quiet..

Nothing to say that Tesco are to buy the old factory and turn it into a Tesco Express on the Ramsey Road. Tut Tut peel towm Commissioners why keep it quiet..

which one - the smaller one is (?was) occupied by Irvings Street Heritage - the larger one is I would have thought considerably bigger than all the other Tesco Express outlets I've seen

Opening up the car-park to the adjacent B'Wattleworth estate would allow the rat-run that I understood was not desired

Eye - If we dont have any local food we will be held to ransom!!

No food in the fields, prison planet and all that :o

bring back the small trader, farmer and beat the bastards.

if you cant see it you must be blind, ive never seen prices like it. The farmer gets fuck all

"Is it true that the farmer gets paid by the Government to plough his fields green - so we have to pay the price!!"

They do like to keep you down a little bit more, just like the fuel which comes in from the north sea, but they make out its from the war area - Just a thaught.......................

the simple fact is, if food gos up inflation gos up,

so the goverment like to keep the price of food low,

subs is comeing off farming in the next year, and u going to find your paying more for food, or eating a lot of imports,

if the price dont go up there wont be anybody left produceing the stuff here on the island

When we were living accross we had the 'Tesco' experience. The city we lived in had a number of small local supermarkets in our local area. One summer Tesco bought about three of them out. The first thing we lost was choice. The different foods we were used to choosing from dissapeared. The second thing we noticed was that the staff - whom we had known for a few years - became quite surly. Then we had learned that Tesco had stood outside the local butchers one morning with a clipboard noting down the prices. I.e. 'we are going to undercut you'. To cap it all the folk who know about these things reckoned the prices went up.

So, less choice, higher prices and a more aggressive culture.

Never shopped there since.

I worked on farms a few years back and it was my impression that there was litle variety in farm produce, the usual supects that garner subsidy===lamb, milk, wheat etc, produce with price control like spuds, produce needed to feed the beasts throughout the winter. There are some farms producing pork and eggs but all in all not a comprehensive product base, almost a monoculture.

I dont think Tesco will be impressed :(

I worked on farms a few years back and it was my impression that there was litle variety in farm produce, the usual supects that garner subsidy===lamb, milk, wheat etc, produce with price control like spuds, produce needed to feed the beasts throughout the winter. There are some farms producing pork and eggs but all in all not a comprehensive product base, almost a monoculture.

I dont think Tesco will be impressed :(

I spent a few of my younger years doing farm work - supplying local shops & wholesalers, mostly with seasonal fruits & veg.

Quite a range of stuff potatoes, turnips, calibrese, cabbages, carrots, onions, sprouts (they were a pain to pick in the frost!!) cauliflower, strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries, rhubarb, peas, runner beans etc.

Obviously crop rotation was important - you can't really do 'monoculture' without harming the land.

However this is the sort of farming that the big supermarkets (especially Tesco) seem to be encouraging, asking suppliers to grow a single produce, then say they don't want it, so the farmer is left with a surplus crop which the supermakets then get for a knock-down price - this is losing money for the farmer - giving the supermarkets goods for less than they should be paying to make savings for the customer.

- 'Every little helps' might help the consumer a little, but it destroys communities with their local shops being shut down as they can't compete with the supermarkets - it leaves older generations and people on low income who can't afford to drive to supermarkets in a vulnerable position and screws the economy by taking money away from the local suppliers.

Would recommend reading the book 'Tescopoly' - the author tends to rant a little, but overall a very interesting read.

They've hardly kept it quiet. It was in the papers last week that the owners have applied for permission to turn the Barford factory into a supermarket

• 3 weeks later...

Archived