[BBC News] Work to start on £1m road scheme

Newsbot

Grrrr... don't get me started on roadworks. Driving in from Castletown every day gives me my fill of blokes digging up roads.

<rant>

Has anybody else noticed the Mount Murray traffic lights' Northern bias? I've been waiting in a half-mile queue of traffic Southbound every night just after 6pm - yet when I finally get through the lights, there are only six or seven cars waiting at the Northbound side.

If only somebody at the DoT realised this and changed the priorities slightly...

</rant>

Grrrr... don't get me started on roadworks. Driving in from Castletown every day gives me my fill of blokes digging up roads.

<rant>

Has anybody else noticed the Mount Murray traffic lights' Northern bias? I've been waiting in a half-mile queue of traffic Southbound every night just after 6pm - yet when I finally get through the lights, there are only six or seven cars waiting at the Northbound side.

If only somebody at the DoT realised this and changed the priorities slightly...

</rant>

Let's see, the DoT starting more works, they plan to close Bemahague road for a short while whilst at the same time there will still be roadworks at Santon and Braddan, if they thought about it hard they could do some on the Prom at the same time and scr#w everybody's journey into Douglas up!!

As for Santon, Yesterday travelling South at 7:45am traffic lights turned to red and 4 cars piled through, I pulled up only to be overtaken by a Lexus and Porsche 911, obviously nobheads as they had the number of their car model in the plates just to remind you that they have a 911 and a 300!! Anyway, I still ended up behind them at Ballasalla as they were stuck behind a slow moving vehicle.

I agree regarding Bias, you'd think that they would switch the priorities to meet demand. (sorry rant over)

Let's see, the DoT starting more works, they plan to close Bemahague road for a short while whilst at the same time there will still be roadworks at Santon and Braddan, if they thought about it hard they could do some on the Prom at the same time and scr#w everybody's journey into Douglas up!!

Aye... I canot believe it!! Starting on 18th and will be closed for two weeks. Apparently from "the nook" down to the roundabouts.

Heck, i only found out about this today - as signs have only just gone up this morning. Isn't it great of the "wonderful planners" to schedule a major road closure on the day when school resumes! Why not have it closed from this week Mon 11th for two weeks?? Of course, during half term the roads are really quiet..... but that is all too good. So they decide to skip this week and slot the two weeks in prime time.

This will surely cause major traffic backlog's. This particular road takes a heavy flow of traffic. With it closed, all the traffic from mountain road is going to cram through Onchan (perhaps even down to the promenade) or down Watterson's lane and along Ballanard. Neither route is gonna' be pretty! Especially when it rains (as traffic levels double!!!! or even treble! as everyone tries to avoid a little rain).

I'm in Governors Hill... which means I'm gonna' have some fun regardless.

So.... just make sure the warning get's out to people.

I'm guessing they dont like to schedule major new road works during school holidays because staff take more holidays around that time?

There does seem to be a general lack of thought when it comes to when they start these schemes though. Best one I remember was when they started some major works on Pulrose bridge the week before TT fortnight. Meaning through all the road closures for the races, people also had to negotiate roadworks on the only other major route in that direction! Good job.

You almost imagine some planner somewhere getting a map out and sticking a pin in it to decide the next place to start.

Does anyone know if the scheme will include a new section of road between Blackberry Lane and Victoria Street so that you can get round there when the TT course is closed? I know the original scheme included this and it would make soooo much sense to do it to ease the congestion on the prom during road closures.

Does anyone know if the scheme will include a new section of road between Blackberry Lane and Victoria Street.

Hope not, as that would be one heck of a long road. I think they are planning to connect either Governors Road or Blackberry Lane to Victoria Road, but that isn't in this phase.

They have cut down lots of mature trees, which if I recall correctly there was an almighty outcry about some years back when they were planning to widen the road - no outcry this time.

They have cut down lots of mature trees, which if I recall correctly there was an almighty outcry about some years back when they were planning to widen the road - no outcry this time.

First I knew about anything, they had already started cutting them down... and I drive up and down the road 4 times a day.

Perhaps those who wanted to complain were not aware?

Only on monday did they put up a sign saying that they were working on a scheme to enhance the road.. though they had been working there for a week already.

First I knew about anything, they had already started cutting them down... and I drive up and down the road 4 times a day.

Perhaps those who wanted to complain were not aware?

Only on monday did they put up a sign saying that they were working on a scheme to enhance the road.. though they had been working there for a week already.

I think that there was a family of lesser spotted blueberry nosed newts living in that embankment, surely the couldn't be disturbing them during their mating season ;)

Does anyone know if the scheme will include a new section of road between Blackberry Lane and Victoria Street.

Hope not, as that would be one heck of a long road. I think they are planning to connect either Governors Road or Blackberry Lane to Victoria Road, but that isn't in this phase.

Oops - always did get Victoria Road and Street mixed up :huh:

Archived