Manx Tells

mollag

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We were talking about the scouse accent thing recently and a good point was made that with a Manxie there is always a "tell" word or two.

Wasp is one, Waaasp not wosp is the tell.

Chicken becomes chikkin

wicked becomes wikkit

Any others come to mind at ya?

Mother "What were you doing in school today?'

Child 'Oh, we did Manx.'

Mother ' What did you learn?'

Child "Coooookerry'

'fella' isn't a Manxism? I reckon it is - it is used in a such a similar way to Manx fer. Yessir is a corruption of yussa (still heard in the North) which comes from uss - the Manx emphatic pronoun meaning 'you' (singular).

I thought it was a corruption of the English "Yes Sir", it is what I read in the Anglo-Manx dialect book.

Thirt-teen, fort-teen. Yessir/yisser. Start every answer with 'weeeeeeell'.

Lovely. Rural Manx accent is even more pronounced and lovely.

Surely it has to be pronounced, "Thut-teen, Fut-teen," as per Roy Moooooo-er commontatin' at Raaaaaamzee Haaairpin?

I thought it was a corruption of the English "Yes Sir", it is what I read in the Anglo-Manx dialect book

hmmm - "How's it going Yes Sir!" or "How's it going you?"

You can make your own mind up.

Warning - go no further wth this message unless you are interested in the minutae of Manx dialect etymolgy:

Uss is pronounced 'ussa' in most dialects of Scottish Gaelic. Uss becomes yussa in the vocative assertive (when addressing someone directly).

If the Manx dialect book you are talking about is AW Moore then, although it is a pretty good book, he does suffer from a few 'flights of fancy' when trying to account for the origins of words. He wasn't a great scholar of Gaelic at all.

An elderly rellie of mine says "frighkened" instead of frightened, "wardrove" instead of wardrobe and "faraker" instead of faragher. I've always wondered whether any of those were Manxisms.

Frighkened is definately a Manxism - I know quite a few people who would say that. The 't' and 'k' often get changed around in Manx Gaelic too.

Haven't heard 'wardrove' myself but makes sense - Manx Gaelic 'b' lenites to 'v' - and stress is usually placed on the first syllable of a word, and almost never on the last.

I've mostly heard Faragher as 'Farager' these days. I am 1/8th Faragher myself, and I reckon it should be more correctly pronounced 'Faragher' with the gh sounding like the ch in Scottish loch - which maybe what you are actually hearing.

I thought it was a corruption of the English "Yes Sir", it is what I read in the Anglo-Manx dialect book

hmmm - "How's it going Yes Sir!" or "How's it going you?"

You can make your own mind up.

Warning - go no further wth this message unless you are interested in the minutae of Manx dialect etymolgy:

Uss is pronounced 'ussa' in most dialects of Scottish Gaelic. Uss becomes yussa in the vocative assertive (when addressing someone directly).

If the Manx dialect book you are talking about is AW Moore then, although it is a pretty good book, he does suffer from a few 'flights of fancy' when trying to account for the origins of words. He wasn't a great scholar of Gaelic at all.

I dug the book out, yes, it is the A W Moore, S Morrison, E Goodwin "Vocabularly of the Anglo-Manx dialect".

I was wrong though, it wasn't "Yes Sir" but they say it is "You Sir". It is said that it is a disrespectful form of addressing a boy or man. Not that I am arguing which is correct, I don't doubt what you say.

I am interested in how names have changed, if they have at all. Names like Cowley, Tholt-y-will, Voirrey. Were they originally pronounced Cow-la, Tolt-ee-will, and Vurrer? I did buy the old Manx radio cassettes that pronounce two of these names in such a way.

Also I always pronounce Dalby as Dawbee but I have heard that this is the proper way of saying the village and the contradicting version that this is the English way of saying it. It does seem to make sense to pronounce it Dawbee considering the old maps of the area spell it as Dauby? Just wondered if you had any ideas?

'fella' isn't a Manxism? I reckon it is - it is used in a such a similar way to Manx fer. Yessir is a corruption of yussa (still heard in the North) which comes from uss - the Manx emphatic pronoun meaning 'you' (singular).

Have a google for "fellah" , its one of those borrowed egyptian words meaning farm labourer, the english use was a derogotory term to address locals, we had them all around the empire "Pandy in andy pandy is one also"

right now im of for to do me Egyptian aerobics!

Ps dont know if its a tell but i once heard a local lady ask for a pint of semi-skilled milk, and got it without comment, lovely !

Google "alright fella".

An oft used phrase, especially it seems on forums and the like, but not necessarily Manx.

Growing up I used to often hear some of the old Manxies who had their various idiosyncracies, it was their trait I suppose. Then people not in the know imagined this was the old way of Manx speaking. It wasn#t, it was just that particular person's!

I realise it is a contentious one, but the pronunciation of Andreas as 'Andruss' or 'Andress' seems to be quite a recent insistence. I say 'Andree-as' and I believe most folk from up that way do too.

Archived