Exporting A Laugh

Lonan3

LINK TO STORY

The Germans cannot see the funny side of French humour. And the French are appalled at German jokes. So how does Arte, the television station created to forge Franco-German cultural bonds, programme comedy?

Enter John Cleese, Rowan Atkinson and Joanna Lumley. According to Arte’s executives, only British humour bridges the Franco-German border and attracts viewers in both countries.

Series such as Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, BlackAdder and Ab Fab, have got the Germans and the French laughing together, according to the station’s managers. They are now planning a series of British comedy films, with The Full Monty heading the list.

So that's it...at last! Something we can definitely beat the French and Germans at! :D

:huh: I see - you meant 'we Brits', not 'we Manxies' :blush: .

Still, I think comedy is a vital part of National Heritage and culture and something that really does figure overseas, and should be supported and encouraged (MNH seem to employ one or two already). Perhaps there could be tax incentives to get comedians to settle in IoM (a bit like the Irish schemes for artists), and I'm all for publicly funded clowns. But seriously, there's nothing wrong with being an ex-local taxi driver and giving it a go. Let's encourage more of it - Yipee for Manx comedians!

:huh: I see - you meant 'we Brits', not 'we Manxies' :blush: .

But of course! As far as I'm aware the French and Germans are incapable of beating Manxies at anything!

Silly me - you see I haven't experienced for myself the gastronomic wonders of chips, cheese and gravy, or had an opportunity to marvel at the engineering triumph of the Laxey water wheel, the precision optics of the camera obscura, or .....

And it's very nice of you to give the Brits something to feel good about :) .

As far as I'm aware the French and Germans are incapable of beating Manxies at anything!

The French, ok....the other one I'd have to slightly disagree...

German Engineering:

bugatti-veyron.jpg

Manx Engineering:

p50.jpg

See the subtle differences ?

And we DO have a sense of humour - we even have a Carnival, look:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitge...,533030,00.html

That's impressive! I bet the fuel economy and carbon emissions are superb, especially in the super-eco peddle-power hybrid version.

Doesn't look like the Germans did a very good job with their imitation model though.

One year I ended up in LA with some German and Scandawegian colleagues on the run up to xmas. The thing that concerned them the most? Getting home in time to see "Dinner For One!"

It would appear that this old British black and white short comedy play has cult status over a lot of Europe and is "must see" viewing for xmas. When I finally got to see it I thought it was crap. So much for their sense of humour....

It would appear that this old British black and white short comedy play has cult status over a lot of Europe and is "must see" viewing for xmas. When I finally got to see it I thought it was crap. So much for their sense of humour....

Shit..rumbled :blush:

As far as I'm aware the French and Germans are incapable of beating Manxies at anything!

The French, ok....the other one I'd have to slightly disagree...

German Engineering:

bugatti-veyron.jpg

Manx Engineering:

p50.jpg

And we DO have a sense of humour - we even have a Carnival, look:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitge...,533030,00.html

It's interesting what's in a name. Bugatti formerly a French company with an Italianate name now owned by Germans.

Archived