[BBC News] Calls for greater CCTV coverage

Newsbot

does anyone actually look at these images ?, is there a troop of people sitting watching them (boring), I understood that the recordings were only there for reference after the event to see if they have any useable pictures so don't actually 'prevent' anything happening

Their "prevention" is the deterrent effect that they may have - people may think twice about comitting crimes if they think or know it may be recorded. However, these CCTV's can't detach themselves from their lampost, run down Strand Street and break up a brawl between drunken youths.

This is a 'no brainer'. CCTV helps to stop and detect crime. It helps to prove who is INNOCENT as well as those who are GUILTY. Take a look at Crimewatch on the TV and camera images have helped to catch the most wanted in the UK.

There are cameras in Douglas and you see things in the Examiner asking for identifying criminals etc.

As long as the cameras are pointed at public areas where the nasty assaults and other crimes happen then it can only help.

Imagine the shame of broadcasting some yob's actions via the media after they have been put through the court. It could put some these idiots off doing these crazy things that go on late at night.

Why not have it operated by an independant agency away from the authorities, maybe a group of community minded people who have plenty of time on their hands? The Manx Forum users could be a good start, the images could be piped through to their home PCs and these good people could actually take a break from whining about the Steam Packet service or who is getting what expenses etc and instead, make a real contribution. It could get fairly lively.

Why not have it operated by an independant agency away from the authorities, maybe a group of community minded people who have plenty of time on their hands? The Manx Forum users could be a good start, the images could be piped through to their home PCs and these good people could actually take a break from whining about the Steam Packet service or who is getting what expenses etc and instead, make a real contribution. It could get fairly lively.

Yes, why not let every Dick, Tom & Harry spy on us - great idea - I can really see that work...

"Oh, look - it's that woman from next door. She's on benefits - why can she afford to shop at M&S, the cow..."

Been watching Hot Fuzz too many times, have ya?

This is a 'no brainer'. CCTV helps to stop and detect crime. It helps to prove who is INNOCENT as well as those who are GUILTY. Take a look at Crimewatch on the TV and camera images have helped to catch the most wanted in the UK.

BBC LINK

CCTV is not as useful in the fight against crime as was previously thought, according to government research.

The cameras, which have been placed at the heart of crime prevention policy, may be more effective as a detection tool than as a deterrent, researchers found.

The report - which looked at evaluations of 22 CCTV schemes in Britain and the US - found that while cameras could have a marked effect on reducing vehicle crime, there was little evidence they prevented violent crime

MORE RECENTLY...

London has 10,000 crime-fighting CCTV cameras which cost £200 million, figures show today.

But an analysis of the publicly funded spy network, which is owned and controlled by local authorities and Transport for London, has cast doubt on its ability to help solve crime.

A comparison of the number of cameras in each London borough with the proportion of crimes solved there found that police are no more likely to catch offenders in areas with hundreds of cameras than in those with hardly any.

Ah, well....back to Steam Packet and expenses (not to forget smoking, of course)

Yes, why not let every Dick, Tom & Harry spy on us - great idea - I can really see that work...

"Oh, look - it's that woman from next door. She's on benefits - why can she afford to shop at M&S, the cow..."

Been watching Hot Fuzz too many times, have ya?

The Forum ref was a joke.

If it did happen, surely an Independant CCTV monitoring system away from the authorities would be better accepted by everybody?

As for Hot Fuzz - eh??? Is it good?

What happens at present is the Police will call the firm, say in focus. Tell them the time scale for the data, The firm send a man to download it and it is delivered to the police.

Personally any move, which makes it less likely that the Police will get their asses out of the station, is a retrograde step.

I dont want cameras perhaps preventing crime i want bloody policeman out doing a proper job, and if they no longer want to get down and dirty sack the lot and lets start again and build a force whose priority is the job they are paid for, not self invented paperwork, career progression and professional sickies.

Jacks down on peelers today :(

but even when they have in-store cctv evidence and the proof of an offence (like theft from a shop) and they are caught with the goods, the staff all get grilled and fingerprinted, nobody ends up in court 'because it can't be proved that they didn't intend to pay for it' and the shop doesn't even get the recovered goods back !

so how does more cameras in the street prevent drunks kicking off and causing chaos ?

When we lived accross a few years ago our neighbourhood was becoming very crime ridden. The most recent trend was mugging mothers with pushchairs. We hardly ever saw a copper - perhaps once a year. The standard response to rising crime was to put up more CCTV. Eventually there were cameras on every street. Did things get better? Of course not. However, we ended up with the crime AND a surveillance culture.

It strikes me that the Manx way of community policing is the only way things are going to improve. CCTV detaches law enforcement from the crimes. Yes, it's a good way of providing evidence to the courts but it's a bit ruddy late by then. We don't want the crimes in the first place thank you.

The other issue is that CCTV and all the surveillance stuff is big business. But we need human solutions to crime not technical ones. Anyway, the stuff going on round Douglas does not warrant a big panic. Most of it seems to be alchohol driven. It stands to reason that if you sell the stuff untill the early hours blokes will be a lot more plastered when they roll out of pubs and clubs. Why not start restricting opening hours?

Okay, rant over. But, in all seriousness, we need law and order. We don't need a surveillance society in the Isle of Man.

well hopeully when the new prison is up thay send more ppl down,

then again it be like a hotel up there with all the gizmos so thay may like it

i think the lack of punisment is the problem, so many times ppl get let off, yes once maybe c if thay learn there lesson(im bing far 2 nice,) second time rd nail there ass,

and maybe the up bringing of of some ppl (bout to be flammed)

i have to admit when i was young i wasent the best kid about, :rolleyes:

knocked around with some vary rough ppl, but never really got in trouble, only once, and boy did i learn from that

was shit scared of getting the biggest hideing in my life when i got home if i ended up in trouble, and more so for letting people down,

o and going up to that hell hole vic road,

and that still works for me today,

i know everybodys diffrent but worked for me,

all this human rights crap about ppl in prisons, namely our old prison lol,

i think ppl void any human rights thay have when thay comment a crime to a fello human,

while i think cctv is handy in the right areas it is not the b all and end all of it, and it wont stop crimes,

but may help get a convition,

there has to be a happy medium, what that medium is,

well think i got more chance winning the euro millions then giveing that answer :D

Archived