[BBC News] Calls for greater CCTV coverage

Newsbot

What happens at present is the Police will call the firm, say in focus. Tell them the time scale for the data, The firm send a man to download it and it is delivered to the police.

Personally any move, which makes it less likely that the Police will get their asses out of the station, is a retrograde step.

That will be the CCTV systems in/outside Pubs, Clubs etc to which the Police don't have any access to. In fact even the licencees don't have access to most of them hence the external companies having to come in and get the data off - which is usually the next working weekday......

The Douglas Corporation CCTV cameras down Strand/Duke/Victoria Street etc can be monitored by the Police. If a crime is reported in progress then someone will take a look at the cameras to see what is happening, direction of travel etc. They can also replay it back again as well as move/zoom some of the cameras.

I don't think there is someone actually employed to sit in front of a wall of TV screens watching them all. That is getting into "big brother". At the moment, if nothing is reported to the Police then I assume the images will eventually wiped over. No-one is going to go back and watch one of the cameras from two weeks ago making a note that Mr Smith walked down Strand Street picking his nose. I personally can't see that being a problem.

If I was walking down Strand Street late at night and someone attacked me, then I would be glad that there are probably half a dozen or more camera that will probably have picked up the attacker walking down the street just before the attack and probably running away afterwards. I don't expect there to be a Policeman standing on every street corner "just in case" something happened. You would need to have 30-40 officers on all the time! Much better for the cameras to have some decent pictures of the person's responsible.

I would have been a lot happier if there was a police presence in Strand Street instead of cameras. Police on the streets as a preventative measure is not a new idea, that was the norm before pandas, radios and lets be honest they have hived off a lot of their previous duties, parking enforcement , point duty, paperwork done by civvy clerks etc, A vast rise in police numbers compared to 20 years ago but less done.

Very few people i know are satisfied with the preventitive methods of the police, they seem now to just want to police in retrospect, i would maintain that that is not why we employ a police force-----first and foremost must be prevention, this cannot happen from the comfort of a station looking at screens, Feet on the street is the way,

Yet another politician bleating about the symptoms and not dealing with the causes - whilst appealing to the politics of fear - lynch mob mentality. Please, please, please can we get some higher IQ, sensible politicians with some commonsense in for once.

You can't monitor everywhere, and besides, the costs of these CCTV systems are far higher than they realistically should cost IMO. There are 700 miles of roads on the island and god knows how many hundreds of miles of back lanes.

It would be cheaper to tag everyone wouldn't it? - that'll be the next great idea. FFS!

You can't monitor everywhere, and besides, the costs of these CCTV systems are far higher than they realistically should cost IMO.

No, you can't monitor everywhere, buts that no reason not to prioritise those areas where the risk of crimes being committed (i.e centre of town, especially on a Fri/Sat night) is the greatest

And did you know that 80% of all CCTV's installed are so badly installed and or maintained as to be useless (that includes public and private ones)

I am worried about who watches and the regulation of the access to and distribution of the taped material.

Lets say I was cheating on my partner and got caught on camera kissing the other person and someone tried blackmail. What you are doing may be innocent, it doesn't mean you have nothing to fear.

There are many more examples which all show this as an infringement of your right to privacy, your right not to be answerable to the authorities for where you are and or why you are there and which eat away at the edges of Magna Carta

My experience as a lawyer leads me to believe that in most criminal cases the CCTV is useless and as likely to mislead as unreliable live witnesses.

Archived