Free . .free. . .free . . .

George_P

I realise that this forum appears to be nice and cuddly and not worry about some of the more mundane or even serious issues in life. Neds and buses and tweezers are all very well, but now and again we have to wake up and well, smell the coffee. Or sniff the glove as Spinal Tap may have said.

I was wondering what you good sensitive possibly typical cross-section people of the Island thought about Freemasonry. There said it. It's on the forum now. No harm done. It's not embarrassing, or taboo, and as far as I know is not sub-judiciary, unless of course you take into account the amount of freemasonry that is prevalent at anyone time in our courts . . . . but *ahem* therein of course lies another story. Or stories rather.

It would be interesting to hear what the good breakers of the forum believe. No need to bring religion into it - that would be too easy - but nice to see that you all steered clear of the sensational? headline of last week’s Manx Independent regarding a church leader from oop north not encouraging these seemingly upright and honest (some) people to infiltrate his religious patch.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In general if you are trying to gain an opinion from others it helps if you offer your own as a starter.

I'm not too up on Freemasonry myself, I have heard that it has a stronger following on the island than the declining memberships 'across' and that many of the island's top public servants are Freemasons, but that could be incorrect. What that actually means though is beyond my understanding, they do a lot of charity work don't they?

......... but nice to see that you all steered clear of the sensational? headline of last week’s Manx Independent regarding a church leader from oop north not encouraging these seemingly upright and honest (some) people to infiltrate his religious patch.

As a forum member you are as equally capable as I of posting a topic of discussion on such a subject. And you didn't, so this question is equally aimed at yourself I presume.

Personally, I haven't got a Scooby Doo what you're on about, so I must have missed it in the news media.

I don't profess to be an expert on the subject of Freemasonry, so I will leave the bulk of any subsequent discussion to those who do. I am, of course, familiar with the rumours, suggestions of wrong doing, alleged favouritism that may or may not be true. I am equally aware of the good work that such organisation do via fundraisers and donations etc......

I look forward to reading your views on the situation as you see it.

I don't know enough about it to comment specifically, but I will say this.

When I was a kid (probably 40 years ago) my late Dad was invited to join the Freemasons in Manchester by his boss. In his own way, Dad was always keen to help people if he could, and that was one of the reasons he joined - the huge amount of charitable work the 'Masons do.

Another reason I'm sure is that Dad was an honest working class bloke who saw it as a step up socially. He'd been a publican, and knew a few people who were already members, and they no doubt told him about the social side of the organisation. He and Mum used to go to 'Ladies Evenings' occasionally - I remember he always used to bring old-fashioned clay pipes home for we kids to play with (blowing bubbles mostly).

He was also fairly canny, and liked the idea of members helping each other out if possible - and that seems to be the bit that people latch onto.

I'm not a Mason (although he once told me I had an automatic right to join as the son of one), partly because I'm not very sociable, partly because I find the alleged ritual involved to be more than a little silly, partly because anything remotely involving religion leaves me cold, and partly because I want to achieve things in my own right, and not as a result of any patronage.

That said, I think people get a bit hysterical about the issue - all the alleged 'dirty deals' could as easily take place on the golf course, within any other organisation or in the pub. If I had to ask someone for help or advice, I'd be much more likely to trust someone I knew as having similar beliefs as me, than a complete stranger.

The fact that the Freemasonry movement was once a secret society (less so nowadays it seems - I met a bloke recently wearing the whole Masonic tie, ring and cufflink set!) only increases 'outsider' distrust - but we shouldn't knock it simply because we don't understand it.

Hope that helps lead to a healthy (and balanced) debate on the matter.

Stu

My husband was a Mason for a while. I supported him in his decision - as we little women do - but to be honest, didn't approve.

We were both newly married and in our very early 20s and the Ladies Evening bribe didn't really ease my dismay at the Masons requiring my new husband to have secrets from me. If they weren't doing anything wrong or odd, why the need for secrecy in the 20th century? Why exclude women. Why exclude many others in the community?

They were supposed to be good and charitable and all that and they did give money away. They even had their own little private rooms at Nobles for the use of Masons.

So when my one of the elders in my family - a loyal mason for all his adult life, worshipful this and that - needed a private room, it wasn't available on any occasion it was requested. It was empty at the time too.

Put me and my husband right off.

Freemasonry

I got kicked out and banned from the masonic hall in Tollsbury, Essex.

I was at a wedding reception and pretty drunk, when I leaned against a wall. The wall was in fact a secret panel that span around revealing an equally secret throne. It was like a James Bond film. So I sat in the throne, drank my pint and got kicked out for being disrespectful to the lodge.

The year before in the same hall I threw up everywhere, but they didn't seem to mind that so much and just left me to it.

Therefore, masons are stupid.

They even had their own little private rooms at Nobles for the use of Masons.

Shock revelation "Hospital has seperate, private rooms, for those who want to pay for it".

Isn't that private medical care, anyone can have it as long as they pay.

it wasn't available on any occasion it was requested

Maybe it didn't exist.

Not a Mason supporter but it's very easy to cast a lot of allegations around.

Masons are wonderful chaps.

Years ago I wrote a few sketches/songs which took a humorous slant on the need to have goats for company, and I was drawn to one side by a senior employer and quietly informed that a decision had been made that I would never be asked to join the Masons.

Hooray!

Saved me lots of money.

A few Masons I know from the working class side of life spent years acting as waiters and 'servants' to other members at the Lodge functions, whilst those in business quickly rose up the various arcane promotion levels.

Charity work? They look after their own. Their remit does not go much further.

Otherwise, they are splendid chaps who treat everyone equally and fairly - unless they've got tits.

manxman8180,Nov 24 2004, 04:56 PM]

Shock revelation  "Hospital has seperate, private rooms, for those who want to pay for it". 

Isn't that private medical care, anyone can have it as long as they pay.

Maybe it didn't exist.

They had their own little private rooms. Fact.

For use by Masons. Fact.

Free for Masons. Fact.

It wasn't private medical care that could be purchased. I said "rooms" not room and they did exist. Fact

I said they weren't available although empty. Fact

Not allegations. Facts.

What on earth aren't you quite grasping here?

The "secrets" and all the ceremony is only based on stuff you can read in the old testament, it's all pertaining to King Solomon's temple or something..

You also have to believe in God in some way, shape or form, so that's me out!

Archived