One Of The Manxforums Folk Featured On Manx Radio News

nipper

As everyone else is offering advice. Here's my free proposal for getting the horsetrams profitable.

I suggest going and getting sponsorship from an online gaming company (loads here) and then sticking some big banners up at the Terminus and the Sea terminal - then you run regular half hour tram drag races across the prom.

You set them off side by side and take bets to see which is the first to the opposite end. It would be great fun egging the horses on and throwing stuff into the opposing tram. It would be great for the kids - they'd certainly want more than one go. In fact I bet you couldn't keep them off them in the summer.

I'd certainly be prepared to pay a few quid for a quick blast whenever i got the urge.

Job done. £270,000 loss covered.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Suggestion that I think makes most sense is that the horse trams should be relocated to a single track on the walkway - that way we still have the picture postcard and heritage benefits, but the nags don't leave exhaust deposits all over the road or clog the traffic.

Thought it funny that they've baaa..baaaa...banned smoking on them.

Best suggestion I've heard form our own 'man of the people'. If only the council could see the potential in that idea it would be wonderful, the people that like the tram use it, motorists are allowed to proceed unhindered and motorcyclists (on whom this island already wastes huge amounts of money) can safely ride the prom without slipping on the rails or horseshit on the road.

Stu Peters for transport minister.

Add a 50p per person to an arrival tax and issue a freedom to use ticket

Who would be mentally ill enough to charge an arrival tax in a place where we have no tourists? Talk about making a tough job harder - noboby comes here so lets charge an arrival tax to put even more off. Even the DTL wouldn't be that daft.

Suggestion that I think makes most sense is that the horse trams should be relocated to a single track on the walkway - that way we still have the picture postcard and heritage benefits, but the nags don't leave exhaust deposits all over the road or clog the traffic.

Best suggestion I've heard form our own 'man of the people'. If only the council could see the potential in that idea it would be wonderful, the people that like the tram use it, motorists are allowed to proceed unhindered and motorcyclists (on whom this island already wastes huge amounts of money) can safely ride the prom without slipping on the rails or horseshit on the road.

This scenario is likely to be the option that is accepted as I understand a number of the relevant decision makers are proposing it - at least the single track part - walkers and cyclists should not be affected though.

When I was speaking about the horse trams being part of an integrated transport system I was referring to a heritage transport system - MER, horse trams, steam railway which I think is perfectly feasible and serious for those who value heritage.

Please keep the ideas coming - even the joke ones may have something useful to contribute - certainly the Trams are likely to increase their losses this year with the present paucity of profitable ideas.

Best suggestion I've heard form our own 'man of the people'. If only the council could see the potential in that idea it would be wonderful, the people that like the tram use it,

I think it's a stupid idea. What about the pedestrians? Or even the cyclists?

motorists are allowed to proceed unhindered and motorcyclists (on whom this island already wastes huge amounts of money) can safely ride the prom without slipping on the rails or horseshit on the road.

Sod the motorists, they get it easy enough already. And if bikers are so inept at riding bikes that they can't negotiate their way around some horse excrement and tramlines then they should stick to using the bus.

Kid in a sweetshop? BAD idea...................; )

Putting the trams on the promenade would have been a good idea when they were doing the Iris works, but I would imagine will cost loads now, but probably not as much as running them at their current loss .

As for pedestrians, I guess the average pedestrian can get out of the way of a thundering horse tram, although the less than average will not. You also have to see the stopping distance for the trams; they really do not do emergency stops. So, of course, there will be concerns about health and safety and that will put the whole idea into a cocked hat.

So after that, I think the destiny of the horse trams is to stay in the centre of the prom until someone, somewhere decides it is an anachronism too expensive to carry.

Sod the motorists, they get it easy enough already. And if bikers are so inept at riding bikes that they can't negotiate their way around some horse excrement and tramlines then they should stick to using the bus.

Kid in a sweetshop? BAD idea...................; )

Au contraire, my little fevered friend.

What the island's road users (specifically those of us who pay road taxes) need are some radical policies, and a bit of thinking outside the box. I'd recycle enough 'road furniture' (signage etc) to build a battleship, bring in a very simple speed rating for all roads, have speed cameras in home zones, increase funding for unmarked police cars to catch bad drivers and unroadworthy cars, introduce age and offence-related compulsory retraining and testing, and a holistic approach to road refurbishment where the DoT closes whole roads (rather than individual carriageways or sections) for MUCH shorter periods, and with much bigger crews.

I went from the Braaid crossroads to Foxdale yesterday and the new surface there is superb - and a FAR better solution than constantly patching up old cart tracks.

I've also seen enough (usually old) people blundering around in cars, completely oblivious to their surroundings, to reinforce my belief that a driving licence should be a privilege and not a right. It's not rocket science - the State should reward good drivers (the Driving Standards Subsidy Act 2012) and get the bad and illegal ones off the roads, which would cut congestion and accident rates at a stroke.

And finally Gladys - it's apparently too expensive to carry passengers on horse trams - there's certainly no money for anachronisms... (coat's already on).

There is no need for an 'integrated heritage transport system,' as those tourists that we do have are unlikely to want to visit both the south and the north in a single day, and most rent cars for the ease of it anyway.

The idea of placing it on a single track on the promenade walk itself is a desperate strategy to preserve a relic few like and even less use. How it is more acceptable for pedestrians, including small children, to have to avoid piles of horse poo than motor vehicles is beyond me.

Heritage is only worth preserving when it is of historical significance or constitutes a viable attraction. Clearly the horse trams are financially unsalvagable and their role in the Island's history would be equally well represented with a single carriage in a museum.

A comment from the year 2005:

Councillor David Christian, Chairman of the Leisure Services Committee said: “I think it is very important that we do maintain a service on the promenade. I think the horse trams are very safe at the moment. Any local authority in England that provides services will tell you that 99% of them run at a deficiency, that is the nature of the beast."

The question is what is the Public Service Value now and how could it be increased by marketing strategies? I do not think we should cast aside something which does have an appeal to a significant section of the community. As the Town Council are having problems with managing the horse trams with reasonable efficiency, I suggest alternatives are put forward. Like the Queens Pier in Ramsey, these matters are of all island concern and certainly central Government must ensure the wider interests of the island are met - in this case those who value heritage. If we cast aside our past, we lose much of what history teaches the present generation and those of the future. I ask that the Council widens its horizons and takes advice outside their membership before it is too late. There is an election shortly. My vote will go to those who agree to do so.

A comment from the year 2005:

Councillor David Christian, Chairman of the Leisure Services Committee said: “I think it is very important that we do maintain a service on the promenade. I think the horse trams are very safe at the moment. Any local authority in England that provides services will tell you that 99% of them run at a deficiency, that is the nature of the beast."

The question is what is the Public Service Value now and how could it be increased by marketing strategies? I do not think we should cast aside something which does have an appeal to a significant section of the community. As the Town Council are having problems with managing the horse trams with reasonable efficiency, I suggest alternatives are put forward. Like the Queens Pier in Ramsey, these matters are of all island concern and certainly central Government must ensure the wider interests of the island are met - in this case those who value heritage. If we cast aside our past, we lose much of what history teaches the present generation and those of the future. I ask that the Council widens its horizons and takes advice outside their membership before it is too late. There is an election shortly. My vote will go to those who agree to do so.

Do the horse trams actually provide a 'service' though? They do not actually go anywhere that isn't equally pleasantly reached by walking, and they aren't exactly friendly to the elderly, disabled or those with prams.

The horse trams have no greater historical value by continuing to operate than they would if they were to be put in a museum. They do not consitute a part of our heritage worth preserving in an operational form. Preserving something solely because it is 'heritage' is a fatally backward approach. Perhaps we should have retained all the hotels at tax payer expense in order to preserve that aspect of our heritage?

What would retaining the horse trams actually teach us or anyone else? That we've come along way since then yet some people refuse to move on? It is telling that much of the debate over Queens Pier actually involves discussion over what it will actually be used for. There is no point keeping something simply for the sake of keeping it.

It is easy to reject something which you do not want yourself. As far as I am aware most of the population want them retained provided losses are curtailed somewhat. Why not put modern apartments on St. Patrick's Isle? Close the steam railway. Put a race track at Cregneash. Close the Gaiety Theatre. I am sure there are some who would think at least one of these ideas is the way forward, forget the past - live for the present, live for your own pleasures.

I value the horse trams. There are things which I couldn't care less about, but I recognise that others do. I pay my taxes and rates for the greater well being of the community and I have no problem in doing so even when these are spent on matters which have little relevance to me.

Single track in the middle of the road would be the best option, not the seaward footpath/cycle path. That's a bad idea - that facility is used by 10X the people using the trams. Keep the trams in the road - on a single track.

Put it on the seaward path and I guarantee a fatac involving a toddler within a couple of years - don't f****** go there!!!

Archived