One Of The Manxforums Folk Featured On Manx Radio News

nipper

The Gaiety Theatre also was saved by the Government. It was so near closure a few years ago.

It was 1971 when John Marsland a well known Douglas businessman who had bought it realised that Government needed to take it over as substantial investment needed to be made to restore it. This the Government did.

The thing is though, the horse trams aren't in poor condition, they just don't have any useful purpose and the historical value of their continuing operation is seriously questionable.

Whilst I would perhaps not be quite so blunt as a previous poster, I too do not see the value in a marketing campaign. Awareness of their existence is already high, and since they have no practical transport advantages, there is no reason for people to use them.

My own personal preference is for the site at the bottom of Summer Hill to utilised for a sport and recreation facility with something there for tourism/educational purposes. Once contructed, I would like to see it served by a modern electric tram across the promenade, meaning people can park elsewhere to use it, as well as linking the prom for all weather. In the summer, if the weather is good enough, the same staff would be able to operate a horse tram between 10 and 4, minimising disruption to traffic.

However, I do accept this as largely a pipe dream.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is easy to reject something which you do not want yourself. As far as I am aware most of the population want them retained provided losses are curtailed somewhat.

I really think I have to challenge that. What evidence exists to support the view that 'most of the population' feel that way? Of the people I've spoken to - both locals and visitors - a large majority appear to believe that the trams ought to be removed.

Oh really? One of the "attractions" of the island is the antiquated public transport system. Of course, it's all part of the experience to take the steam railway from the south to Douglas and then on to a horse-drawn tram to take you up the prom to catch the electric railway to points north or Snaefell. If it wasn't for the horse-drawn toast racks just how do you propose they get from the station along the prom to the electric terminus? What's that? By taxi! Well, that's a novel suggestion as it hardly fits in with the rest of the experience does it? Errr, wait a minute....

I can now confirm that the Leisure and Amenity committee will meet with members of Island21 so that our marketing ideas can be discussed with them. I hope this will be a positive step to assist in retaining and improving the service.

Archived