[BBC News] Calls for Summerland leisure site

Newsbot

The leader of Douglas council does not want the former Summerland to become privately owned.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7233973.stm

How long do they need to make plans for this site?

If there is a overall plan for sports and leisure facilities on the island surely this site will form part of that.

You have to leave a site derelict for ages before you get planning for apartments.

My betting is one of the governments developer mates already has his/her sights on the land. It is so kind of our government to test the cliff face behind prior to selling the land, I must remember this for next time we buy a house "Seller pays for all surveys".

Place your bets...

I could always be wrong and we will see something happen there for the good of 'the people of Mann' but, I really do not hold out much hope. It wouldn't cost millions to make the rock face sound and the area could at least be used as a car park for people using the Electric Tram, the (ran-shackled and bedraggled looking) Horse Tram Museum or even people who would enjoy a walk up to Onchan head - maybe even just tarmac the area and let the wild things play there - something has to be done and soon because the place is an ugly mess. Procrastination nation (but not when it comes to land grabbers- no sooner mentioned than SOLD).

Anyone one know who owns the site?

I'm fairly sure it is the DTL. This is someway down in terms of Government big capital projects. There's that Onchan school they've got to do, the runway extension at Ronaldsway, maybe even Ramsey Pier (probably not). They did try to put it out to a public-private partnership, but the private parties that came forward essentially wanted to get Government to pay for the whol thing whilst they got to make the money.

Dump the idea of a £40Million runway extension - and use Summerland to create a monster 'yoof' facility.

I seem to remember that the runway extension is required for international safety standards primarily, but will also allow the landing of newer, larger aircraft instead of the smaller ones we currently see that are largely being phased out.

Karran asked about it in a written question, then asked about it at the next sitting in a spoken question. Actually, what he asked was 'How many planes currently use Ronaldsway that require the longer runway to land?' I couldn't believe the minister didn't point out that the question was totally absurd, what with it being a paradox and all.

Summerland

Something must be done blah blah blah.

Public facilities - consultations - need for provision of public entertainment blah blah blah.

Swimming pool/bowling/facilities for young people blah blah blah.

In the full course of time after many reports and consultations and meetings blah blah blah.

.........................Apartment Block

Archived