More Awards To Ourselves

nipper

For the avoidance of doubt I would like to re-iterate:

Whereas I cannot deny any of the nominees or indeed non-nominees anything but the utmost admiration for their achievements, isn't the Isle of Man establishment just a little too fond of awarding themselves awards?

There is often an excuse for illiteracy and bad spelling but there is rarely an excuse for not reading a topic properly before responding.

Well to be honest it's a bit confusing. Are you suggesting these various sports people/teams are the "establishment"?. Or was mentioning them and their awards just by way of introduction to the question posed. If so I'm not sure of the relevance of doing so - the question could have stood on it's own.

Why not award those that have excelled and flown the flag for the Island?

Now, I would understand your point if the awards were organised by, say, the DTL for the best run government department or facility, best MHK etc. That would be nepotism (not in the strictest sense, I know).

What is wrong with being proud of our home grown/culitvated achievements? What is wrong with saying: 'Well done, we are proud of you and thank you for representing this little place so well.'?

Methinks you ought to take that chip off your shoulder. There is a world of difference between jaded cynicism and Manx crabs, you know.

Archived