[BBC News] Diocese names new island Bishop

Newsbot

Where is this new island Bishop? Is it one of those volcanic islands?

Think it said the island Bishop is moving and will be consecrated near Easter. My guess is it is some floating island somewhere in the Pacific en route to Easter Island. (Maybe the consecration is about giving the island Bishop a bit of head - they have those at Easter Island, dont they?)

I also overheard something about the island Bishop will then move to the Dio Seas, but I couldn't find it in my atlas.

Why did they choose to call it Bishop?

I reckon the name came from 'bisso' or 'bis-oh' and got converted and became Bishop that way. Here is what it means:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=bisso

so my theory is maybe its because the island Bishop is pretty meaningless :).

(I'd watch out though - seems that the island Bishop could be a bit dangerous if not tethered - but the Church is against that kind of thing - see - http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...p;feed=rss.news )

I can see the point in the system - it is trying to ensure a voice in government for spiritual interests. Regardless of religion, or non-religion, most of us recognize some sort of spirituality - or at the very least we recognize that questions of 'right' and 'wrong' go beyond accountancy and self-interest. Is the Anglican Bishop of Soda and Man the best choice for such a position? He is, as an outsider, supposedly impartial, but he is appointed by our powerful neighbour. This new fella looks like a good one - but I'm not sure if his political role is suited to the 21st C.

Not trying to justify this, but I think it might have had to do with Tynwald also being the high court, and the Bishop would sit in that capacity - maybe partly ecclesiastical law issues as well. The clearest thing about the Bishop's role in Tynwald that I can remember is taht he would leave before a sentence of death was passed. I rather like the idea of someone who's main function involves them not being there :). Maybe it should be full time.

(Seriously - I think an empty seat would be a good reminder of the spiritual dimension in proceedings rather than abolish it entirely - chair and all).

In UK House of Lords includes 26 Bishops (Canterbury, York, London, Durham, Winchester and the 21 longest serving from other diocese). Sodor & Mann is specifically excluded, presumably because of his ex officio membership of LegCo. Need to bear in mind that the link between C of E and state remains close - including Queen as head of C of E (and "defender of faith" although this isn't actually C of E originally) and appointment of bishops by prime minister/Queen. Personally I'd favour full disestablishment (particularly if Charles ever becomes king), but it needs to be done as a whole rather than piecemeal.

Similar arguments apply in IOM - consider the Tynwald ceremony that includes church service and includes representatives not just of C of E but of other denominations too (as yet no other religions I think).

I agree with Freggyragh that it's good to have the spiritual dimension included in decision making. IMHO I think the LegCo (and House of Lords) should be made up of experts in various fields of human endeavour - including business, science, etc and also religion.

The veneer that we call democracy is so flawed that it would be useful to balance a popularly elected house with people who know what they're talking about. At the moment we have a lower house that is full of self-interested monkeys (with a couple of notable exceptions) who would be middle management at best in any private sector business. Proof of this is the amount we pay them - we're not going to attract the cream of our society by paying only slightly more than the average salary.

Our upper house is no better - jobs for the boys. At the moment we rely on the civil servants to run the country - and we're very fortunate that they include a few good minds that generally do a good job. Replace the LegCo with a part-time committee of retired worthies (a bit like company non-execs) from various fields and we'd do a lot better.

Archived