Winter Hill Service

nipper

It is nice to see a service in remembrance of those who died in the Winter Hill Tragedy

Manx Radio Report

...but did the self style 'Leader' of Douglas Town Council need to use the event as another publicity vehicle? Well yes, because some of them that died was from Douglas.

Are the local elections looming?

Councillor Richie McNicholl has now been on Manx Radio, solemn voiced, and suggesting that Hutchinson Square would be a suitable place for a memorial.

I can't really deny there are good intentions here and it seems a reasonable point to make.

I still get the feeling there is an election coming up though.

There is a pefect place for memorials for people who died tragically, the cemetary. They are designed for the job, everyone knows where to go, they have the gravitas and the staff to maintain memorials.

With respect, recreation parks are not suitable places to be reminded of tragedy.

Oh dear, it seems from today's Examiner that Councillors McNicholl and Christian won't be able to attend the service after all.....

something far more important like a jolly trip to course in London has cropped up.

I have no interest in church services that are used as 'memorials.'

On the day, I will spend a minute or two reflecting on a next door neighbour who was one of the victims of the disaster. I will recall him spending time to teach a snotty-nosed kid (me!) how to catch a ball properly. I will recall his ever ready smile and his good nature, and I will recall how the grief that the disaster brought to his lovely parents left them utterly devastated.

R.I.P.

I have no interest in church services that are used as 'memorials.'

On the day, I will spend a minute or two reflecting on a next door neighbour who was one of the victims of the disaster. I will recall him spending time to teach a snotty-nosed kid (me!) how to catch a ball properly. I will recall his ever ready smile and his good nature, and I will recall how the grief that the disaster brought to his lovely parents left them utterly devastated.

R.I.P.

Well put, there is something quite manipulative about organised grief, personally my reflective silence is for those who fell in the wars, those who died in tragic accidents i feel sad for but it is not the same thing. :(

removed compulsory, a bit strong in hindsight, replaced with organised

Archived