Bmc Overhaul Has Been Canx

ayummymummy

Passengers getting letters in the post to explain the overhaul has been cancelled.

This is due to the SP not being able to find a suitable freight vessel.

Penciled in for new dates in April - yet to be confirmed.

didn't they look on the beach at Blackpool?

Never a truer word... yet... Laura Howland, on Manx Radio this morning, when asked whether Riverdance was the intended charter vessel, said "No".... Perhaps it was going to be the sister ship, Moondance, instead :)

Riverdance would be a good wreck for them to buy and do up, like Sea Express 1/Snaefell, then they'd have a spare freighter.

:D

STOP THE PRESS

BMC Overhaul now booked for the last week of May - First week of June.

A SPCo spokesman said, "using this time will minimise delays and ensure no travels plans are upset - and confirms our dedication to providng an Island Lifeline"

Hi all. I can't find this on the Steampacket website. Anyone know where it originates from??

Regards. Trev..

Hi all. I can't find this on the Steampacket website. Anyone know where it originates from??

I think x-in-man was joking - it looks as though the overhaul is going to be 2 weeks in April, subject to further confirmation, and information being forthcoming from Steam Packet - at least that is what a bit of fishing through the booking computer seems to show.

They've still got to find "a suitable freighter" to cover Ben, (I doubt if Riverdance will be repaired by then :) )though at least (we hope) the fast craft can cope with the passengers and cars at that time.

STOP THE PRESS

BMC Overhaul now booked for the last week of May - First week of June.

A SPCo spokesman said, "using this time will minimise delays and ensure no travels plans are upset - and confirms our dedication to providng an Island Lifeline"

Naughty, naughty ... musn't post joke press releases on here ... might encourage the SPCO's lawyers to ask for them to be removed in case someone might possibly believe they were real. No ... they wouldn't possibly do that would they ? ;)

This stinks of bad management.

The overhaul of the Ben my Chree is a preset event, i.e. it needs to be done before her certificates run out. The dates were set when the last overhaul was finished.

So any prudent company would pre-book a charter vessel and the dock space for the overhaul well in advance to ensure that there is no problems with service; but no the IOMSP once again is scrambling round at the last minute looking for ships.

If they had chartered the Riverdance or Moondance they they have an excuse - but I don't think this is the case.

I would have thought they would had learned their lesson after the TT charter problems last year.

This situation was forseen by a number of people when the winter timetable was published - it a knock on problem of running a shipping business with only one (year round) vessel.

Does anyone know when the BMC certificates run out? Are we in danger of having a vessel that isn't certified as "seaworthy" if they can't find a vessel for early April?

I know people were joking above about the TT but early April is only 6 weeks-ish to the TT any if her certs are only valid until say May we have a major issue.

Archived