[BBC News] World's smallest car on display

Newsbot

I'd think there'd be a huge market for something like this in Japan. Maybe the Manx motor industry might find a niche?

racist.

???

In Japan in many places you can't own a car unless you can show you have private off road parking. Many houses are close together and have little space. There are also special regulations and benefits for 'yellow license plate' cars - I think below 900cc engines. Japanese are quite conscious of these things and pro small cars. Many businessmen and sales reps use motor trikes (scooters with 3 wheels and some plastic cover) - this offers easy parking and quick mobility in urban areas, but the P50 could offer advantages over this, particularly as it is fully enclosed (Japanese winter is cold, and summer can be very hot, especially in a business suit). Lots of Japanese use bikes, but for a quick run to the shops etc. this type of transport might be preferred, especially with greater safety than trike in city and climate control etc. There is also a large elderly population that this might suit very well for urban transport - and who do not need a larger car. There are various reasons why this might have a niche in Japan. Why is saying that racist? Is it perhaps discrimination by suggesting the rest of the world should not have the benefit of the P50 or its modern equivalent?

I'm a bit lost as to what this 'racist' comment means. It seems like just hurling insults on the slightest pretext, and is rude and abusive. <_<

I'd think there'd be a huge market for something like this in Japan. Maybe the Manx motor industry might find a niche?

racist.

I'm a bit lost as to what this 'racist' comment means. It seems like just hurling insults on the slightest pretext, and is rude and abusive. <_<

Just ignore him/her

Sexist!!

racist.

Just ignore him/her

Sexist!!

Ok then, it

There was a piece I saw a bit of on the news last night. Ken Livingston bringing in credit-card pay push bikes in London (those were red too!). Perhaps these could be credit card vehicles. Imagine - no one could simply steal it - they would be spotted! You wouldn't get boy racers and joyriders pinching them. You could fit lots in a carpark - and around a train station or terminals. No congestion charge... You could even collect these like shopping trolleys... The P50 was just ahead of its time - but time is catching up with it. Go P50! :)

(I have to admit though, I'd be tempted to go for the Peel Trident - tough choice, but Daytona Red for sure).

There was a piece I saw a bit of on the news last night. Ken Livingston bringing in credit-card pay push bikes in London (those were red too!). Perhaps these could be credit card vehicles. Imagine - no one could simply steal it - they would be spotted! You wouldn't get boy racers and joyriders pinching them. You could fit lots in a carpark - and around a train station or terminals. No congestion charge... You could even collect these like shopping trolleys... The P50 was just ahead of its time - but time is catching up with it. Go P50! :)

(I have to admit though, I'd be tempted to go for the Peel Trident - tough choice, but Daytona Red for sure).

The reasons cars of these size are not sold in huge numbers in Japan -

1) You can cycle quicker.

2) They have an incredible, extensive and reliable public transport network.

3) Japan is very mountainous. Many suburban roads have very steep gradients.

4) There would still be the need to own a parking space - which is expensive in the cities.

5) Public parking is expensive and limited.

6) There is no way a 50cc car would be allowed on expressways - the only practical way to get across a major city.

7) I assume the engines are 2-stroke - and so would struggle to pass modern Japanese emissions testing.

However, I bet there would be a market for a small number of these - the Japanese love novelty.

Archived