One Tough Way To Go

Amadeus

German Man Starved Himself to Death in Forest

He was unemployed, his marriage had collapsed and he had lost touch with his daughter. A 58-year-old German man committed suicide by cycling deep into a forest and starving himself to death in a 24-day ordeal during which he kept a diary of his suffering.

:blink:

Although I do understand what can drive some people to suicide, it is a pretty selfish way to end your problems. To do it the way he did, slowly, painfully and keeping a diary....has got to be the worst. What was the point? To make his family feel awful for anything they may have done to push him to take his life that way? Keeping a diary!? wtf, and then asking that it be given to his daughter so she can torture herself over the fact she played a role in all the pain and suffering he caused himself in the last few weeks of his life?

Although I do understand what can drive some people to suicide, it is a pretty selfish way to end your problems. To do it the way he did, slowly, painfully and keeping a diary....has got to be the worst. What was the point? To make his family feel awful for anything they may have done to push him to take his life that way? Keeping a diary!? wtf, and then asking that it be given to his daughter so she can torture herself over the fact she played a role in all the pain and suffering he caused himself in the last few weeks of his life?

The point maybe that this will have value as film rights for a movie - rights to the diary etc. It may not be, but it could be that he did this for his family. I've no idea - just a thought.

Words like 'balance of mind' spring to the forefront here, who knows what he was going through, having lost his family, job and dignity? Or he could just want his family to know just how much he had and was suffering so that they too could be pained in the same way? Anyway, they don't have to read what was written. But I guess it will get serialised in one of the dailies or glossies.

Very sad way to go.

Archived