Isle Of Man Govt Partners With Unisys

Sparky

The Isle of Man government has partnered with one of the world’s largest IT firms in a £20 million deal to overhaul its IT systems.

Unisys will help set up an island-wide IP network, a desktop strategy, and a single website infrastructure.

This will involve a new virtualised server architecture which will save cash, and forms part of the e-government strategy.

The government says it needs a fundamental transformation of its IT infrastructure to keep up with European competition.

Manx Radio

This is only 3 years since the govt replaced all the computers in their Magic XP programme. More computers and servers in the bin at the tax payers expense.

LOL, how many computers do you suppose the Isle of Man Government has? I bet that Magic thing took years to do. I imagine this project has been in the pipeline since before Magic had even completed - things like this for an employer as big and complex as the IOM govt take years to think about and years to get done.

The Isle of Man government has partnered with one of the world’s largest IT firms in a £20 million deal to overhaul its IT systems.

Unisys will help set up an island-wide IP network, a desktop strategy, and a single website infrastructure.

This will involve a new virtualised server architecture which will save cash, and forms part of the e-government strategy.

The government says it needs a fundamental transformation of its IT infrastructure to keep up with European competition.

Manx Radio

This is only 3 years since the govt replaced all the computers in their Magic XP programme. More computers and servers in the bin at the tax payers expense.

Wasn't JUPITER some sort of joined up government system?

Uh - that's sold me - sparkly marketing movies always work! And e's - loads of e's - e-environment, e-process, e-coffeemachine, e-steamiron. It's an e-xtemely e-xciting e-ndeavour, I thell thee (<- see the two e's there?)

Manx Radio

There's a more detailed article up at: http://www.silicon.com/financialservices/0...39169958,00.htm

Looks like Manx Radio just picked up a few select statements from that ..

--------------------

Tech Blog - Personal Blog - Hobby Blog - ManxFriends Profile

Got a Manx website: Submit it on SearchMann - Fancy a chat?

I do not understand why you see this as a problem - Magic was workstations, this is servers (as far as I can see) whats the issue?

The reporting looks a little bit confused, it looks to me like a sensible move to virtualise servers with Unisys as part of a larger 20mil project that includes an all island IP network. Doesn't say that Unisys are doing the other stuff, or that the spending with Unisys is 20 mil.

Virtualisation is a sensible way to go, makes load balancing and replication much easier, provisioning a doddle and DR becomes a snap.

I do not understand why you see this as a problem - Magic was workstations, this is servers (as far as I can see) whats the issue?

The reporting looks a little bit confused, it looks to me like a sensible move to virtualise servers with Unisys as part of a larger 20mil project that includes an all island IP network. Doesn't say that Unisys are doing the other stuff, or that the spending with Unisys is 20 mil.

Virtualisation is a sensible way to go, makes load balancing and replication much easier, provisioning a doddle and DR becomes a snap.

Oh? Well that's ok then.....isn't it?

Manx Radio

There's a more detailed article up at: http://www.silicon.com/financialservices/0...39169958,00.htm

Looks like Manx Radio just picked up a few select statements from that ..

At least they didn't quote "Playing fields have become more level.'

What the hell does that mean?

--------------------

Tech Blog - Personal Blog - Hobby Blog - ManxFriends Profile

Got a Manx website: Submit it on SearchMann - Fancy a chat?

I believe that Magic Xp was all about upgrading the governments systems to Windows XP and Windows 2003. I now hear that they intend to do the who thing again - at great expenses - to move them all to Windows Vista. More taxpayers dollars wasted.

Archived