Who'll Do The Work?

Lonan3

When they've all gone home?

A wave of immigration that helped to fuel Britain’s early 21st century boom is over, as the Polish plumber and thousands like him go home.

The Times has established that, for the first time since they began arriving en masse four years ago, more UK-based Poles are returning to their homeland than are entering Britain.

Statistics show that only 38,680 Poles signed up to the Government’s register of migrant workers in the third quarter of 2007, a slump of 18 per cent from the previous year. Polish officials say that Poles leaving the country outnumber thoses coming in.

...a comparatively weak pound and an unprecendented surge in the Polish economy has made it unattractive for Poles to remain.

“At the end of last year we saw the tipping point,” Krzysztof Trepczynski, Minister for Economic Development at the Polish Embassy in London, said. “It’s a real change. There are now definitely more Poles going back to Poland.

The Times has established that, for the first time since they began arriving en masse four years ago, more UK-based Poles are returning to their homeland than are entering Britain.

It makes complete sense. Their economy is picking up and they'll be taking the cash made in the UK back and investing into their own businesses. Good on them I say. The Poles are hard working and industrious - the thing is after they leave what is the UK left with as an immigrant "workforce" - all those Romanian gypo's and the real shyte of third-world Europe.

There has been a big debate about whether the Euro Zone/EU would be flexible enough to be an integrated market. Lots of economists thought that labour shortages etc wouldn't be equalized and people would stay in their national economies. The reality seems to be alot more benign with people moving back and forth to meet changing demands - its really good for allowing economies to adapt to changing circumstances. This is the problem about press coverage etc. they talk about huge influxes and permanent changes - in fact its much more complicated with ebbs and flows in both directions.

What'll happen if they all leave - there will be job shortages and wages etc will have to alter to attract more people - either locals or migrants - into the areas where there are shortages. Change is just that change - not the end of the world!

The skills learned by these workers will enable Poland to drag itself into the 21st century enriching Europe even further

...and when their economy looks better than ours, then British tradespersons will go over there

auf wiedersehen pet anyone - nobody complained then when the boot was on the other foot

Well after mixing with polish people for the past 6 months i have to say i really have a new found respect for them.

I was like a few people quite anti polish for a bit before i actually chatted and learned a bit about them.

What my main problem was that i didnt want to see locals becoming jobless.

But after finding out about how the polish are basically just trying to make a better future for themselves i must admit they deserve a little more praise.

Most of them are only here to save money so they can improve their lives once they go back to poland, some of them don't see family for months at a time and work as much as they can whilst in the UK.

Its such a shame some of our people could not learn from them, they are so polite and happy to work that it makes me feel like why can we not all be like it.

I bet there are very little dole scroungers over in poland :D

Good luck to them i say and i hope they do make a better life for themselves they deserve to.

p.s i was also talking to an estate agent last week and he said that come april a lot of the polish will be going back and they are expecting a lot of buy to let investors off loading the accomadation

auf wiedersehen pet anyone - nobody complained then when the boot was on the other foot

Das boot?

Sorry wrong sinking ship.

Jack boot ?

Sorry once again Armadeus, but I have a Fawlteyesque view of the world

yes yes, you all just continue to make fun of all the immigrants - like you always do.

But there's nothing funny about it.

Leaving home, wife and children

Moving to a far away place, filled with hope and uncertainty

Slowly learning the language and all the accents

Finding your way around in a strange and foreign culture

It's all not so easy you know

Makes me very sad when people make fun of it. :(

I'm gonna throw myself behind the horse tram now - there - you did it.....all your fault :crying:

I'm gonna throw myself behind the horse tram now

I think you'll find that 'toss' is a more appropriate word. :rolleyes:

Steady on, this was supposed be a straightforward thread about work ethic

Now you are accusing the immigrants of Zoophilia which we all know is the exclusive preserve of the non-Douglas locals

Having said that, could this be the help with marketing strategy for the horse trams offered for free recently ?

Archived