[BBC News] Power failure at island hospital

Newsbot

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
unbelievable

there could well have been deaths as a result of this !

they should be on their knees praying and saying thanks that no one was in ITU or on an operating table

Were there any deaths? I don't think so. I'd love to live in your perfect world where nothing ever breaks or goes wrong.

Press Release issued by MEA at 09:16

Please note that at approximately 8.00am MEA received notice that Nobles Hospital was without power. The back-up generator appears to have failed and the fault is based around the Hospital’s own low voltage network. Essential services are being powered by emergency back-up and a large group of MEA Engineers are on site at present assisting Nobles Hospital staff with the problem. Every effort will be made to restore supplies as soon as possible.

Press Release issued by MEA at 09:25

Please note that supplies have now been restored via an MEA back-up system. MEA are giving full assistance investigating the cause of the fault.

Press Release issued by MEA at 09:34

MEA Engineers have detected a ‘faulty voltage sensing relay’ on the Nobles Hospital Supply. MEA Engineers are assisting Nobles staff in replacing their faulty apparatus to fully rectify the problem, removing the need for generation back-up and returning the supplies to normal.

Press Release issued by MEA at 12:46

Following the power outage at Nobles today and the consequent press coverage. Could I please clarify on behalf of the MEA that the power failure was caused as a result of a fault on a relay switch on the fuse board at Nobles Hospital, followed by a similar fault when the back-up generator attempted to activate. The fault was not due to MEA mains supply going into the Hospital and our Engineers have been assisting Hospital Engineers in resolving their issue.

So that seems like the MEA are off the hook and it was a problem with the Hospital's own power distribution systems.

They obviously blew the fuse bringing the new cret to life ; ))

Hmmm, I'd hope not as the stereo in the delivery room wasn't even turned up much for the cheesy 'inspirational' tunes I'd arranged.

It's ridiculous though. To add to that, I got stuck in a lift there yesterday and had to force the bloody door open after it decided I should stay inside it. After I got out I'd meant to go and alert someone in case someone in a hurry got stuck in it, but I'm afraid I got distracted by Mrs C's contractions etc and forgot to mention it. I heard it had been fixed though.

The staff there seem to do a great job considering they're faced with the all new hospital not working properly (not to mention the fun of trying to get a space in the car park!!), although a couple in our ward didn't think so - it seems they were in for a c section and got sent home as a result of the power cut.

I can understand why the bloke was as obviously cross as he was, but he was a bit too frequent & loud with his use of profanity in a room full of women & babies.

Hmmm, I'd hope not as the stereo in the delivery room wasn't even turned up much for the cheesy 'inspirational' tunes I'd arranged.

Yea I was thinking more of when they threw the switch in a Bride of Frankenstein kind of way, you know, big boots, bolts in the neck, that kind of thing.............; )

Your life is one long Carry On Film isn't it?

Not remotely. Why do you say that?

I suppose getting stuck in a malfunctioning lift (potentially for a long time) whilst one's wife is in labour might be funny to some people, but I didn't really think so at the time. Still, I understand why you might think so - am just missing the rest of the script as such.

Oddly enough whilst taking the wife for a walk round the hospital there was one part where the corridor ran up a hill and I did indeed comment, about the possibility of a Carry On style runaway hospital bed situation, but sorry to disappoint you that no such thing happened to us.

Yea I was thinking more of when they threw the switch in a Bride of Frankenstein kind of way, you know, big boots, bolts in the neck, that kind of thing.............; )

Oddly enough, whilst my wife was giving birth to our daughter she wasn't wearing boots of any description, nor had bolts in the neck that I noticed. Maybe I wasn't paying attention properly.

Still, I'll tell her that someone who's likely never met her has called her that and I've no doubt she'll be as chuffed as I am at such flattery.

Archived