[BBC News] Isle of Man budget 2008 unveiled

Newsbot

The Manx Budget is unveiled by Treasury Minister Allan Bell.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7253771.stm

Can I invite grief from any other posters by kicking this thread off by saying I thought it was a really good budget!

Well, it seems to be predicated on growing tax revenues, at a time when a recession in the UK is very much on the cards. So perhaps it is a trifle optimistic.

And apart from the £2,000 increase in personal allowances for the over-65s, there is nothing for the impoversihed elderly who are struggling with huge increases in care costs and fuel prices. Life for the elderly is becoming increasingly grim, and it would be good if there was more than token recognition for their plight.

Not that the IOM government is any worse than the UK government in this respect; quite the reverse. But more could, and should, be done.

We'll all be old one day.

Can I invite grief from any other posters by kicking this thread off by saying I thought it was a really good budget!

Well, it seems to be predicated on growing tax revenues, at a time when a recession in the UK is very much on the cards. So perhaps it is a trifle optimistic.

And apart from the £2,000 increase in personal allowances for the over-65s, there is nothing for the impoversihed elderly who are struggling with huge increases in care costs and fuel prices. Life for the elderly is becoming increasingly grim, and it would be good if there was more than token recognition for their plight.

Not that the IOM government is any worse than the UK government in this respect; quite the reverse. But more could, and should, be done.

We'll all be old one day.

What!!! Very generous tax allowances, an excellent health service, voluntary backup organisations as well. Try finding better anywhere else on the planet - you will find it difficult if not impossible.

IMO The government is not responsible for increasing care costs and fuel, only if the family can't do anything then the government should step in.

Compared to the late 1970's when I graduated the Island really is booming. Shame Ramsey's such a scruffy place and I can't take my dog into the pub...

Don't benefits get inflationary rises?

If I read the budget ( http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/treasury/budget...inkbook0809.pdf ) right it seems that some benefits do ( page 17 ) but Carers Allowance doesn't and is amongst some of the exclusions.

Charming.

Benefit Uprating 2007-08 2008-09

Retirement Pension 3.9

Pension Supplement 3.9

Retirement Pension Premium 3.9

Income Support * 4.5

Child Benefit 0.0

Incapacity Benefit 3.9

Disability Living Allowance 3.9

Attendance Allowance 3.9

Bereavement Benefits 3.9

Maternity, Adoption and Paternity Allowances 3.9

Other Benefits -

Christmas Bonus 0.0

Family Income Supplement * 3.9

Jobseeker's Allowance* 3.9

And where do you see it as being included?

Benefit Uprating 2007-08 2008-09

Retirement Pension 3.9

Pension Supplement 3.9

Retirement Pension Premium 3.9

Income Support * 4.5

Child Benefit 0.0

Incapacity Benefit 3.9

Disability Living Allowance 3.9

Attendance Allowance 3.9

Bereavement Benefits 3.9

Maternity, Adoption and Paternity Allowances 3.9

Other Benefits -

Christmas Bonus 0.0 1.7 1.7 1.7

Family Income Supplement * 3.9

Jobseeker's Allowance* 3.9

And where do you see it as being included?

Well it is *not* an exclusion, could well be am ommission - has the carer's allowance been updated in previous budgets? Why not ask the treasury, failing that Dan Davis may well have a budget program soonish, I think there's budget stuff on Mandate tomorrow morning, why not send in a question? Seeing the values you quote I guess it's been increased by 3.9%

Well it is *not* an exclusion, could well be am ommission - has the carer's allowance been updated in previous budgets? Why not ask the treasury, failing that Dan Davis may well have a budget program soonish, I think there's budget stuff on Mandate tomorrow morning, why not send in a question? Seeing the values you quote I guess it's been increased by 3.9%

Suggestion - forward to newshound Stu Peters, he'll be happy to bring up the question I'm sure. Seems like a decent caring kind of bloke :ph34r: !

Archived