[BBC News] Isle of Man budget 2008 unveiled

Newsbot

I enjoyed listening to the budget and the follow-up comments from the various members of Tynwald, on Manx Radio.

During the break I also enjoyed listening to a bit of Manx fiddle-de-dee type music (Christine Collister et al?). I think the Manx Radio operator got carried away too because they forgot to turn the live radio broadcast back on. As a result I missed Quintin Gill's speech and part of the young fella Watterson's too. Being a Rushen man, I was quite disappoined in this lapse of professionalism by Manx Radio.

Back more on topic though, the back-slapping fest that was yesterday's budget Tynwald almost had me spewing, especially when I heard Eddie Lowey's continuous gushing of the "18 carrot gold Budget" with reference back to the bad old days of the 1970s. Whereas I have to agree he was partly right, the success or otherwise of the Isle of Man is simply a reflection on what is happening in the UK.

Many of our politicians can't see the world outside of their myopic view of life. Yep, the world whatever that may be, certainly does revolve around the Isle of Man.

Archived