Taxi!

Pat Ayres

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do I become a taxi driver, do I need a special license and my own car?

The car needs the license, not the driver, and they're in limited supply and existing drivers bleat like they're being shot if anyone tries to issue more. God forbid they compete in an open market.

Alternatively, work for a cab company, like a1: http://www.gov.im/dti/jobcentre/welcome.aspx?id=49777

I haven't got a clue but my mate as a taxi driver and the things I remember are, you need to get a license from the corpy (or government) to take passengers - there might be a written test (vague recollection of this) and then you have to have a 'plate', afaik these are hired from mafia style people, erm what else? oh yeah if you get your own car, it has to have a test at the test place, then you have to take it to get a meter fitted, then the meter has to be tested - this happens at the TT access road in Douglas, dont know about out of town though.

I think Lonan might be the best person to reply but Im in a chatty mood & thought I would offer my useless advice :) good luck Skrappey.

Simply remove the bulbs from your indicators

You would fail if you put that on the application. You need the bulbs to operate your hazard flashes when you stop in the middle of the road whilst waiting for a pickup.

The correct answer is to snap the indicator stalk away from the steering column

You also need to throw away the highway code and typr out your own

1)drive the wrong way down a one way street

2)do 50mph in a 30mph zone

3)park along side parked cars on the prom and force other drivers/ bikers onto the tram lines

4)just do as you please

How do I become a taxi driver, do I need a special license and my own car?

Firstly, you need to get a driver's badge. This involves taking a written test on your knowledge of the roads throughout the island.

Secondly, unless you have a considerable amount of money to invest in taking over an existing business, you need to find someone who's prepared to put you on their insurance and let you drive their taxi.

Normally, whatever you take - less fuel money - will be split 50/50 with the owner.

You will be self-employed and therefore responsible for paying your own tax, insurance etc.

As a driver, if you wish it to be your full-time occupation, you will need to work the best part of 70 to 80 hours per week in order to make a reasonable living.

As you might imagine, full-time drivers are becoming rarer so you shouldn't have much trouble finding a drive - especially as there are now more than 260 vehicles to choose from island-wide (although only 123 in Douglas, plus another fifteen or so from other areas that work of radios in the area)

Good luck.

PM me if there's anything else you need to know.

Archived