Taxi!

Pat Ayres

What a turn up, I passed with 81%!!!!!!!!!!

Even though I forgot what shape a stop sign is, still as I'll be driving a taxi ..................................................

(Fill in the gap yourself)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a turn up, I passed with 81%!!!!!!!!!!

Even though I forgot what shape a stop sign is, still as I'll be driving a taxi ..................................................

(Fill in the gap yourself)

...................I will be observed more closely than ever before. I cannot avoid this because I will be so easily distinguished by the roof sign. Even the tiniest mistake I make will be noted by someone and used as evidence to suggest that taxi drivers are the worst people on the roads - although any act of politeness will be studiously ignored.

I will, therefore, learn not to react to the abuse of drunks, dickheads and impatient customers (and Manx customers are probably the most impatient and demanding on earth!)

I will learn not to bite chunks out of the steering wheel when, after travelling for a couple of miles to an arranged pickup, I'm told that they have cancelled - usually just as I'm drawing up outside their house.

When a customer asks me to wait 'a couple of minutes,' I will learn not to compare the actual time taken with the amount of facial hair growth I've experienced in the interim.

I will learn that "I won't spill a single drop - honest!" is one of the great lies and right up there along with 'The cheque’s in the post,' 'This will hurt me more than it hurts you,' and 'Of course I won't do that in your mouth!'

There's much more to learn, of course, but that's not a bad beginning.

Thanks for those words of encouragement. I'll get that tattooed on my bell end so I don't forget.

I do hope I get a couple of weeks before being smacked by some pissed up scally wanting to go to "any fucking place as long as they serve alcohol". Can't wait.

Thanks for those words of encouragement. I'll get that tattooed on my bell end so I don't forget.

I do hope I get a couple of weeks before being smacked by some pissed up scally wanting to go to "any fucking place as long as they serve alcohol". Can't wait.

You old cynic you! I bet you remember the old Foxcabs, the hackey cabs in red in Leicester. I worked there for nearly 5 months before I was beaten up!

As long as you accept a reduction in driving standards and customer service, no probs, I'll fit a light in the boot.

This is in addition to running my van and doing anything else to earn a bob or two.

Bloody hell, I'm a cabby and a white van man, the world's gone mad.

I got a plug on the radio yesterday, thanks for that lads. I phoned in one of those 'guess the intro' thingies and my name was read out with the addition of "that's the white van man " no such thing as bad publicity.

Yes I do remember red cabs in Leicester, pretty ropey looking things I recall. Did a good job though.

"Where to me duck?"

As long as you accept a reduction in driving standards and customer service, no probs, I'll fit a light in the boot.

This is in addition to running my van and doing anything else to earn a bob or two.

Bloody hell, I'm a cabby and a white van man, the world's gone mad.

I got a plug on the radio yesterday, thanks for that lads. I phoned in one of those 'guess the intro' thingies and my name was read out with the addition of "that's the white van man " no such thing as bad publicity.

Yes I do remember red cabs in Leicester, pretty ropey looking things I recall. Did a good job though.

"Where to me duck?"

You're as daft as a brush, you are! :P

with the de-regualtion thing.... aren't they issuing a load of free plates? people who have paid £30K+ for are doing their nut in apparently?

If I have been informed correctly, the final decision on this will be made on the 10th of April. Most likely outcomes of the meeting are:

1. All island coming in but no delimitation.

2. All island coming in with delimitation but a 12 month wait.

Does seem a little strange that the only MHK vocally objecting to these changes (Malarkey) is the only one who actually has any experience of the taxi industry.

I have no objections to changes within the industry, progress is progress, but I do object to the changes being decided by people who have no idea how the industry works and implementing them just to justify their own existence.

And no, I don't own a plate so have no vested interest in the system remaining the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived