Taxi!

Pat Ayres

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically because it alerts the customer to the presence of the ORDERED taxi outside the house.

Also, have you noticed a diesel engine starting is a great deal louder than a diesel engine on tick-over.

If you want the mechanics explained I will be glad to oblige.

But Skrappey, that motor idling and the loud sounding of the horn wakes the rest of the street.

I'm sure I'm not alone getting woken up by so-and-so across the street getting a taxi early in the morning.

A knock on the door is much more customer friendly, don't you think?

Skip the mechanics, I'm a biker

I do wish you a trouble free career.

Another thing is why do people tip taxi drivers? I'm sure it is a throw back from the olden days when only toffs took cabs. I cannot think of other self employed people getting tips even if they get satisfactory service.

I can understand poorly paid hairdressers assistants and waitresses.........

Basically because it alerts the customer to the presence of the ORDERED taxi outside the house.

Also, have you noticed a diesel engine starting is a great deal louder than a diesel engine on tick-over.

If you want the mechanics explained I will be glad to oblige.

I want the mechanics explained.

But Skrappey, that motor idling and the loud sounding of the horn wakes the rest of the street.

I'm sure I'm not alone getting woken up by so-and-so across the street getting a taxi early in the morning.

The taxi companies in my hometown don't sound their horn on arrival. On booking the taxi, the controller tells you they will ring your phone 3 times when the taxi is in your street.

That way you only wake the rest of your household up and not the street! :rolleyes:

Great idea, the idea of putting a horm on a motor vehicle is to warn other users of your presencein an emergency. Its not there so some lard ass can stay in his nice warn cab instead of walking 10 yards to a door to let their customer know that they have arrived.

The referrence to tipping probably is toff related, but then taxi drivers used to carry your bags and open the door for you which seems to be a thing of the past.

Great idea, the idea of putting a horm on a motor vehicle is to warn other users of your presencein an emergency. Its not there so some lard ass can stay in his nice warn cab instead of walking 10 yards to a door to let their customer know that they have arrived.

The referrence to tipping probably is toff related, but then taxi drivers used to carry your bags and open the door for you which seems to be a thing of the past.

Apparently not and this came as a shock to me also....My dear old Mum is 87 and she regularly takes taxis who seemingly always help her to and from the house to the cab and with her shopping even to taking it into the kitchen for her.

She also is full of praise for their clean cars and pleasant young drivers (they all are when you are 87!) so maybe it is just me that gets the ones that do not turn up, drive like Fangio when they do and look like escaped convicts!! That being said, I do sympathise with the loutish people that they have to put up who have had too much alcohol that has blunted their brains, if they had any in the first place!

with the de-regualtion thing.... aren't they issuing a load of free plates? people who have paid £30K+ for are doing their nut in apparently?

One sentence nothing more good source. Don't buy plates yet sit back wait a few weeks. ;)

Archived