New Runway. . . . Or Save Coastal Erosion?

%age

mainpic.gif

Runway Extension Blow - Manx Radio Report

The Stone once destined for our ever so important runway has now found another place to be dumped where it will save people's homes from being washed into the sea.

Mmmmh, don't we on the Isle of Man have a bit of a coastal erosion problem ourselves or isn't saving people's homes sexy enough for our Government?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coastal Erosion Great Yarmouth

The stone from Norway is going towards a New Harbour in Great Yarmouth, although there are hundreds of homes threatened nearby due to coastal erosion.

Nearer home, what is more important - Kirk Michael Coastline (including all those brand new Dandara houses rather close by on Shore Road) or a new runway that isn't actually needed?

'brand new Dandara houses rather close by on Shore Road or a new runway that isn't actually needed?'. Mmmmmmm...a tough choice. The demise of one of the many architectural abominations inflicted on this Island by dandara would get my vote, I'm afraid (with due to compensation and a decent house to the current occupants, of course).

'brand new Dandara houses rather close by on Shore Road or a new runway that isn't actually needed?'. Mmmmmmm...a tough choice. The demise of one of the many architectural abominations inflicted on this Island by dandara would get my vote, I'm afraid (with due to compensation and a decent house to the current occupants, of course).

This development was opposed from the outset for the very reason quoted above. ie coastal erosion.

What's wrong with rock we have here?

The local stuff is too soft - good quality hard rock and heavy metal has to be imported - not that there's anything wrong with the Bee Gees.

What’s the difference with the rock that was used to build the foundation of the Douglas breakwater and that needed for the runway extension? Surely both structures will be subjected to the same severe weather?

Rock from South Barrule is a lot cheaper to use than bringing it from Norway.

This development was opposed from the outset for the very reason quoted above. ie coastal erosion.

The houses aren't designed to last longer than the time it will take for the sea to erode that section of coast.

Skig Posted Today, 02:09 PM

QUOTE(Skeddan @ Feb 21 2008, 01:54 PM)

What’s the difference with the rock that was used to build the foundation of the Douglas breakwater and that needed for the runway extension? Surely both structures will be subjected to the same severe weather?

Probably the wrong colour for the design engineers to do their 'colouring by numbers' in the proposed plan Lol lol :-(

oh my god i've turned into Keyboarder :o

What's wrong with rock we have here?

The local stuff is too soft - good quality hard rock and heavy metal has to be imported - not that there's anything wrong with the Bee Gees.

Whilst it's in the ground in one large lump, spread over a large area and bedded on more solid stuff deeper down, it's fine! The minute you dig it out it loses masses of it's structural integrity, also because of the way it's formed it splits far too easily in compression. The Norway stuff is more dense, harder and takes more effort to crush.

Archived