New Runway. . . . Or Save Coastal Erosion?

%age

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's wrong with rock we have here?

The local stuff is too soft - good quality hard rock and heavy metal has to be imported - not that there's anything wrong with the Bee Gees.

Whilst it's in the ground in one large lump, spread over a large area and bedded on more solid stuff deeper down, it's fine! The minute you dig it out it loses masses of it's structural integrity, also because of the way it's formed it splits far too easily in compression. The Norway stuff is more dense, harder and takes more effort to crush.

I think that's why the local soft rock is what is called 'pop-rock' - hard rock and heavy metal - like Status Quo, AC DC, Rolling Stones etc. all comes from overseas and they last for years and years. I think the Bee Gees have kept their integrity though, even though plenty of people dig them - I'm never sure if they've split or not. I've not heard the stuff that's coming out of Norway - but those Norse can be real hard core - (see VikingRaider avatar).

Also, what about the erosion up at Dog Mills, Bride?

I thought the erosion there has stopped, and that if anything that stretch of coast (Ramsey to Point of Ayre) is now actually growing. The worst erosion there occured around Balladoole in the decades immediately after the Windscale disaster 1957.

I thought the erosion there has stopped, and that if anything that stretch of coast (Ramsey to Point of Ayre) is now actually growing. The worst erosion there occured around Balladoole in the decades immediately after the Windscale disaster 1957.

The erosion rock contest?

• 4 weeks later...
'The International Civil Aviation Organisation has said implementing the improvements would be prudent even if the works were not actually required

Does anybody else find the above quote by John Shimmin MHK a bit worrying?

all we hear these days is talk about financial belt tightening and such like yet he wants to spend at least 41 million quid on something that may not be required?

all these project that have failed over the years at great costs, you think they would learn!

Isn't IRIS the one where people accused it of running massively overbudget but it turned out to just be the result of inflation?

It will never be finished according to the last specification because that specification is unachievable. It will therefore always be impossible to judge the extent to which it would have been over - budget. Counting - for - inflation does not explain or excuse the fundamental failings of the IRIS project or the degree of stupid thinking which was behind it.

IRIS was Stalinist in it's grandeur. It was a grand folly. A series of smaller sewage projects would have been more appropriate, more achievable and more manageable. As many said at the planning and development stages. If it hadn't been for the potential magnificence of the IRIS project the island would not now be still pumping so much nasty gunk into the sea.

I think an IRIS type thing worked in Holland, but that place doesn't have hills like we do.

There will be at least another treatment works built in the North. Put quite simply, imagine the cost of pumping a dump along a pipe all the way from Jurby to Meary Veg.

The single treatment works option was always too ambitious.

Ah well, at least some have already become £millionaires from it.

New runway, bigger planes, new places to go , you can get used to the noise of these huge birds quite quickly actually,

bring on the new runway

Whether bigger planes come here will have little to do with the extension but far more to do with whether there is a business case for them to do so, I suspect there will be little change to what we have already to quote David Anderson " this is for our bread and butter aircraft ", if it does go ahead I sincerely hope there will be far more places to go from here, but I suspect that unless the flying public can be vastly increased services will stay as they are.

Archived