Should Earnshaw Resign ?

Mutley

Should Earnshaw Resign ?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Or should us in Peel just bend over and let JI do what he wants because he has “re-developed” some old buildings and painted them pink.

Saviour off Peel my arse!

Well said. Irvine's spat his dummy and stamped his feet again, don't see what that's got to do with Earnshaw?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive my ignorance - is there actually a principle of 'ministerial responsibility' that applies? Have ministers always had to resign over cock-ups in their departments? It's a principle recognised in the UK - but now more in theory - and is rarely observed. I don't know about ministerial responsibility in IoM constitution though.

Forgive my ignorance - is there actually a principle of 'ministerial responsibility' that applies? Have ministers always had to resign over cock-ups in their departments? It's a principle recognised in the UK - but now more in theory - and is rarely observed. I don't know about ministerial responsibility in IoM constitution though.

Did it really ever really apply in the IoM or the UK? I have only ever seen it as a phrase uttered by the opposition etc as a way of trying to get a political advantage.

To me it should only apply if the matter is something that the minister has knowledge or influence over. I see no reason for a minister to resign no matter how good or bad over somebody elses mistake. That is especially the case in the IoM where there is not exactly a pool of talent waiting in the wings

Unless AE specifically ignored advice given to him personally and supported by his Department advisers, I can't see why he should resign. If there is an issue around the safety of the line and there is no suitable alternative, then I have to say it makes a nice surprise to see an MHK willing to make an obviously unpopular decision.

The only question that would remain would be if any of the civil servants who's responsibility it is to manage the MER are forced to resign or are suitably reprimanded if they failed in their duties.

Just a thought, but would the majority really miss the MER, or would people want the money spending on something a lot more usable by the masses. A decent entertainment complex for a start. I cannot comment on the the pulling power(sorry) of the MER for tourism, but I bet it doesn't break even. We have to stop living in the 1800's and provide for the people who pay for these things. IMHO

Let us examine some of the Minister of T&L's achievements so far during his short reign:

(Allegedly)

1) Did not respond to request from the MMCC for discussions about revising their involvement in running the TT until it was far too late - then handed it all over to the ACU who see it as a major earner and are simply paying people to do all that the MMCC did for free.

2) Did not respond to a request from the PBF for discussions about revising their involvement in running the PBF until it was far too late to properly organise a 2008 PBF.

3) Did not respond to advice from engineers about repairs needed to make the MER line from Laxey to Ramsey until it was far too late to put it right for 2008.

Can anyone spot the common theme?

Given more time he could close down the Island.

I doubt if Earnshaw will resign but he will certainly not be doing a second term in DTL, or even complete this one.

He is dull and uninspiring so would be perfect in several other departments, I can only guess that he got DTL because he had been a good boy and was up for a ministry but all the others had already gone

I think the real question is: do we need a Minister for Tourism ?

The buses could be operated by a professional manager and the trams & railways operated by MNH

That leaves a marketing department responsible for generating tourist revenue, why should that need a minister ?

I doubt if Earnshaw will resign but he will certainly not be doing a second term in DTL, or even complete this one.

He is dull and uninspiring so would be perfect in several other departments, I can only guess that he got DTL because he had been a good boy and was up for a ministry but all the others had already gone

I think the real question is: do we need a Minister for Tourism ?

The buses could be operated by a professional manager and the trams & railways operated by MNH

That leaves a marketing department responsible for generating tourist revenue, why should that need a minister ?

Earnshaw is OK just a different style from Cretters.At least he is willing to look at things like Peel Bay Festival critically and not just pour money in because it seems like a good thing to some people..

No, we probably don't need a Minister for tourism. The island needs to acept that the traditional tourists have gone elsewhere but the whole island needs to be marketed professionally as regards financial services, shipping register, harbours, eco-tourism, heritage transport , industrial archeology, film venues etc etc etc

The main need is for a poster that shows the IOM in the middle of the Irish Sea. Most people don't know where we are.

Let us examine some of the Minister of T&L's achievements so far during his short reign:

(Allegedly)

1) Did not respond to request from the MMCC for discussions about revising their involvement in running the TT until it was far too late - then handed it all over to the ACU who see it as a major earner and are simply paying people to do all that the MMCC did for free.

2) Did not respond to a request from the PBF for discussions about revising their involvement in running the PBF until it was far too late to properly organise a 2008 PBF.

3) Did not respond to advice from engineers about repairs needed to make the MER line from Laxey to Ramsey until it was far too late to put it right for 2008.

Can anyone spot the common theme?

Given more time he could close down the Island.

I expect he'll resign but not until it is far too late.

The MER society sound like a bunch of nutters. "His is the responsibility for depriving children and their parents of the trip of a lifetime" is, for instance, a bit over the top.

It's just not that big a deal.

Also, I'm happy to keep Earnshaw in office just so I can imagine Irving wailing his name, shaking his fist at the sky and crying himself to sleep each night due to not getting his own way over the PBF.

Just a thought, but would the majority really miss the MER, or would people want the money spending on something a lot more usable by the masses. A decent entertainment complex for a start. I cannot comment on the the pulling power(sorry) of the MER for tourism, but I bet it doesn't break even. We have to stop living in the 1800's and provide for the people who pay for these things. IMHO

You can't cut things like this just because they don't break even. I doubt the Manx Musuem comes very close to doing so. Instead you have to consider the broader economic benefits the MER brings to Laxey and Ramsey.

Whilst I have no idea what AE is like as a person, I am unsure as to why we need an exciting and dynamic Tourism Minister when we have so little tourism, and little prospect of increasing it significantly in the foreseeable future. Even the most competant TM could not make the sun shine everyday. It is perhaps then an advantage that AE does not suffer delusions of grandeur.

I cannot see how he could avoided this (clearly he would have preferred not to suffer the agro) without more money, which he is unlikely to have gotten.

I agree with CB that we probably don't need a TM anymore. In fact, I think it was in that Review of the Scope and Structure of Government that its responsibilities be dispersed. TB has not been enthusiatic though.

With Tourism floundering somewhat I would have thought that the Department of Tourism and Leisure would have embraced the likes of Jonathan Irving with open arms. Manx Radio Report Click Here

Instead he gets shunned.

A bit like what the Department have done to the TT by getting rid of knowledgeable and enthusiastic locals, it seems to me that the new Chief Exec. doesn't want anyone interfering with the Empire. Perhaps the Minister is just the front man/fall guy.

Archived