Should Earnshaw Resign ?

Mutley

Should Earnshaw Resign ?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Earnshaw is a decent and likeable man - and a very hard-working MHK. I agree that tourism - apart from the first week in June - is a dead duck and that it hardly seems necessary to give it separate ministerial responsibility unless, of course, the 'Leisure' part of Tourism & Leisure' is given greater emphasis.

So far, he's shown himself capable of resisting external pressure (i.e. the PBF and the MMCC) and actually daring to make decisions. Not something that we're used to from our elected representatives.

He may appear a little dour, especially when all you hear is his voice on the radio, but I know from personal experience that he has a sharp mind and a keen sense of humour.

The DTL - like the DHSS - is a 'poisoned chalice' in terms of government. No matter what anyone does in those positions there will always be a large number of people complaining that it should have been done differently.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So far, he's shown himself capable of resisting external pressure (i.e. the PBF and the MMCC) and actually daring to make decisions. Not something that we're used to from our elected representatives.

And what pressures were there?

The decisions which ultimately he has made on our behalf, could be construed as throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I have no doubt that Adrian Earnshaw is a pleasant and likeable chap. That is not the issue here is it? Although perhaps on the Isle of Man maybe it is?

And what pressures were there? The pressure from a certain gentleman in Peel - whose vision of the future is, IMO, somewhat blurred by having his head so far up his own arse - has been, and remains, excessive and nonsensical.

The decisions which ultimately he has made on our behalf, could be construed as throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Or could be construed as decisions made in ensuring the best interests of the taxpayer.

I have no doubt that Adrian Earnshaw is a pleasant and likeable chap. That is not the issue here is it? Although perhaps on the Isle of Man maybe it is? The alleged defects in his personableness were raised by other posters, I merely responded to them from first hand knowledge.

I would be equally interested then, on your opinion of the MMCC situation.

My opinion, for what it's worth (and I'll admit that its probably not worth very much because I have no interest in motorcycling whatsoever) is that the MMCC indulged in a bit of brinkmanship and it rebounded on them when the DTL refused to play.

The Isle of Man is a pretty place, though the obviously modern housing estates are badly designe and do spoil a great deal of the countryside. Douglas appears to have had what must have been a grand façade destroyed with poorly designed modern properties now spoiling what, judging from pictures that I have seen that show the Promenade before the destruction, spoiling what was a fine example of town planning.

Probably if it were in another country the Promenade would have been given some form of planning protection to preserve what was and what it represented.

What I can not see is how the Island can now possibly be seen as a place for vacationers as the costs to get to the Island are amazingly high, there is nothing to do for the majority of people when they get here, the weather in the summer I am told is often poor, and the accommodation is very expensive for what is offered.

Tourism was obviously a major economic factor in the far past but today is no more. To now waste money on a past glory is foolish. It makes far more sense to give up on it and concentrate on what is important, meeting the challenges that the Island is facing in light of changing legislation from Europe and the US.

Given that to waste money on attempting to do anything other than allow the tourism sector to die out makes no sense at all. If anything the presence of tourists is a disincentive for international finance, especially as now more creative means of banking are of necessity being employed, and such banking and tourism do not go well together.

Earnshaw is a joke and should be sacked. Not just for the reasons above. Does anyone remember his rant after the PBF debacle in which he took credit for bringing bands such as Squeeze to the island. When in fact Squeeze (and other high-profile artists) have been brought to the island by private promoters, with no DTL involvement whatsoever.

He's took quick to take credit for successes in which he had no hand and equally as quick to wash his hands of any responsibility for anything else. The words 'slime' and 'ball' spring instantly to mind.

Douglas appears to have had what must have been a grand façade destroyed with poorly designed modern properties now spoiling what, judging from pictures that I have seen that show the Promenade before the destruction, spoiling what was a fine example of town planning.

Probably if it were in another country the Promenade would have been given some form of planning protection to preserve what was and what it represented.

Actually, most of Douglas promenade looks exactly as it did 50 years ago. The main difference is the number of people actually promenading.

Actually, most of Douglas promenade looks exactly as it did 50 years ago.

Apart from the concrete lego apartments. Don't they look tatty after a few years? Stains and discolouring on the facades. Still to be expected as they're facing the elements I suppose.

Apart from the concrete lego apartments. Don't they look tatty after a few years? Stains and discolouring on the facades. Still to be expected as they're facing the elements I suppose.

They don't look that bad, no worse than the Victorian buildings when the decoration get's a little old. I suspect there's been a little neglect on the red oxiding here and there, but it's not the end of the world and decorators always were a bit slack.

Department of Tourism and Leisure would have embraced the likes of Jonathan Irving with open arms.

And cheque book ?

He was told he could not have an unconditional, £250,000 so spat the dummy.

Told he needs planning to store his fire hazard (nothing to do with the DTL) its refused he spits the dummy.

Managing Director of Street Heritage Events, Jonathan Irving, says over the past ten years he has worked tirelessly to bring Peel alive and has interpreted the 'Freedom to Flourish' ethic in the most dynamic way

By feeding his ego and trying to line his pockets ?

JI knows best, we will have what he gives us and be thankful unto him.

I would be equally interested then, on your opinion of the MMCC situation.

My opinion, for what it's worth (and I'll admit that its probably not worth very much because I have no interest in motorcycling whatsoever) is that the MMCC indulged in a bit of brinkmanship and it rebounded on them when the DTL refused to play.

The MMCC needed a renegotiated contract in light of events during TT2007. The DTL spun the resignation as an opportunity to extend their empire and control into the very heart of the TT. For members of the DTL to suggest otherwise would be duplicitous.

Douglas Promenade.

Is an example of Planner'c incompetency. In architecture there is a saying that Planners are failed Architecture although some of the basic architecture of the new Promenade buildings leaves something to be desired. Perhaps money, money, money was the driving force. Of course it was and still is

but Planners are there to place checks into any building proposal. The Planners have failed - miserably - in their duty.

Up until 10 years ago, the Promenade was more or less as it had been for 100 years with one or two exceptions such as the Crescent Leisure Centre and the Palace/Hilton Hotel.

The architecture was Victorian and glorious. The buildings could have been preserved had the will been there. It can be done - see (part of) Loch Promenade for example.

Instead the Planning Committee and their advisers allowed many buildings to be knocked down and replaced with modular "cram 'em in" boxy flats, ignoring the fundamental principles that identify Victorian architecture and indeed any aesthetically pleasing design. The Planners have let us down.

The Planners responsible for Douglas Promenade over the past decade or so, should hang their heads in shame.

The Planners responsible for Douglas Promenade over the past decade or so, should hang their heads in shame.

For much longer than a decade. It has become all too easy for property owners to leave their property to rot to such a state that there is no alternative but to knock it down - the Villiers, for example, and what do we get in exchange for that part of our Victorian fascade? A stainless steel monstrocity, and a building site (sorry car park), with a bit of a concrete garden tucked in the back that nobody but the skateboarders knows is there. There are numerous other examples in Douglas and around the Island, going back over many, many years.

All you have to do if you are refused planning permission to knock down and redevelop a property is leave it empty till it falls down.

Given that to waste money on attempting to do anything other than allow the tourism sector to die out makes no sense at all. If anything the presence of tourists is a disincentive for international finance, especially as now more creative means of banking are of necessity being employed, and such banking and tourism do not go well together.

Could you or someone else please explain this further. Why are banking and tourism incompatible?

For much longer than a decade. It has become all too easy for property owners to leave their property to rot to such a state that there is no alternative but to knock it down - the Villiers, for example, and what do we get in exchange for that part of our Victorian fascade? A stainless steel monstrocity,

Good riddance to the manky old dumps - the sooner they pull the lot down the better. Why hang on to a distant glorious past?

Archived