[BBC News] Hazard test planned for drivers

Newsbot

Abolutely - someone obviously did not have that much to do on the day this nonsense was dreamt up.

Simply raise the driving age to 21 and there you have it - all 'high risk' ages off the road along with their thousands of cars....

I think this is a good idea. IMO, avoiding accidents is all about watching out for potential and developing hazards, and many people clearly do not do that, nor do they seem to be adaquately trained by instructors to do so either (which I have found especially the case with motorway driving).

This is really about teaching/learning risk awareness, and simply assessing the road and surroundings and likely behaviours ahead of you, to 'assess' the probability of something happening and lowering the the probability of it actually happening, by you being aware of it early and taking appropriate action to ensure it doesn't. A simple example is to not just watch the brake lights of the car in front of you, but also to keep an eye on the brake lights of the cars two/three cars ahead of you.

I do this all the time when I am driving and have never had a car accident in nearly thirty years of (often fast) driving. Treating everyone else on the road as a complete idiot was the best advice I ever got, because 80% of the time it has turned out to be correct in my experience. I hope they eventually develop this into a proper driving simulator where they can throw a myriad of problems at learners.

I do this all the time when I am driving and have never had a car accident in nearly thirty years of (often fast) driving. Treating everyone else on the road as a complete idiot was the best advice I ever got, because 80% of the time it has turned out to be correct in my experience. I hope they eventually develop this into a proper driving simulator where they can throw a myriad of problems at learners.

Shouldn't just be restricted to learners IMHO. There are lots of people who would benefit from this training already on our roads.

I have the misfortune once a week to be a passenger while a colleague drives his vehicle. It amazes me how he doesn't think ahead of the car in front of him, doesn't read traffic lights correctly, doesn't check his mirrors at all and has no consideration of other road users.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a perfect driver but I would like to see something like this introduced every five years for all users of our roads based on a points scale. Get the lowest point score you are banned from the road and have to take your test again, middle points and you should have to take a refresher course and top points get to walk on water (you get what I mean).

Brilliant! More money to fork out - as if learning to drive isn't expensive enough as it is.

A hazard test via a mouse-clicking assesment is just what this island needs. I can't wait for this to come into practice... it will be so much safer on the roads!

Looking ahead, it'll be great when they develop future mouse-clicking tests:

~ How to use a roundabout - properly

~ How and When to use an indicator - properly!!!

~ Space awareness - ie. how to avoid hitting stationery objects

~ Multiple choice drink-n-drive awareness test

(seriously... i doubt that a mouse-clicking test on 'hazard awareness' will really change anything... substantially)

Brilliant! More money to fork out - as if learning to drive isn't expensive enough as it is.

A hazard test via a mouse-clicking assesment is just what this island needs.....

(seriously... i doubt that a mouse-clicking test on 'hazard awareness' will really change anything... substantially)

Is it going to cost more? They use a hazard perception test in the UK and you do it at the same time as your multiple choice theory test. I don't think it's a bad idea, if someone can't pass a test with a load of obvious hazards in it, would you want them on the road?

A hazard test via a mouse-clicking assesment is just what this island needs. I can't wait for this to come into practice... it will be so much safer on the roads!

Don't knock it - with this technology they may soon come up with a 'friend simulator' and you could at last get a feel for what it's like having a couple of mates.

Don't knock it - with this technology they may soon come up with a 'friend simulator' and you could at last get a feel for what it's like having a couple of mates.

Or maybe you could lend him a couple of your blow-up mates?

the ones with the real hair.

Or maybe you could lend him a couple of your blow-up mates?

the ones with the real hair.

Hey - don't knock em until you've tried one. They're cheap to take out and you're guaranteed a shag (tho expect the odd funny look in the pub).

Archived