[BBC News] Hazard test planned for drivers

Newsbot

Mr Hoey said: "Basically you are presented with a video on the screen, and you use the mouse to click on the screen when you identify a developing hazard.

Sounds like bullshit to me.

Just give em a few supervised blasts on Grand Theft Auto and see whether they can spot the developing hazards on the screen.

When I took my test in the UK it included hazard perception. I'm actually a little surprised that it wasn't introduced here at the same time. It's no big deal, and like the theory test you'd have to be *really* bad to fail it. In the UK you also have to be able to demonstrate / explain basic car maintenance (checking tyre pressures, oil level, brake fluid, etc) on your test.

Simply raise the driving age to 21 and there you have it - all 'high risk' ages off the road along with their thousands of cars....

Then the 'high risk ages' will simply change - perhaps to 21-29 instead of 17-25. Immaturity plays a part, but not as much you're suggesting. I believe that the current system of driving instruction teaches very solid fundamentals, and it's really only experience that is lacking when someone passes their test.

For what it's worth, the majority of the reckless drivers I've met have been young. But all of the least skilled drivers I have had the misfortune to encounter have been older - people who passed their test years ago and simply do not know how to deal with modern driving conditions.

Archived