Member Of Legislative Council (mlc) Elections

nipper

MLC Election 4th March 2008  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I find it very frustrating that our political establishment:

one) cannot find a suitable candidate,

two) cannot make up its minds about the candidates who do stand

three) allow unacceptable candidates continue to stand until they get elected by default.

I am still very much of the opinion that this process should be changed to be a single transferable vote, with a Re-Open Nominations candidate included.

This would flush out all the candidates wanting to stand in one go - as their shouldn't be a second election (unless RON wins) - and it will make the MHKs make up their minds in one go and stop the rediculous prevarication.

People say STV is too complicated, but I really do believe that our MHKs are capable of understanding it:

Here is a list of candidates - which one do you want to be elected - this is your No. 1 choice.

If you couldn't choose your first candidate who would you then choose - this is your No.2 choice.

etc.

After making your choices for candidates acceptable to you, if you find any of the candidates unacceptable then make your next choice/vote for the Re-Open Nominations option.

Any candidate who is Ron'ed will be inelegible to stand again if no candidate is elected in this round.

Having such a system would concentrate the minds; stop the attitude of "well I might stand if no one gets in and it drags on for weeks" - which isn't a particularly good campaign slogan is it; and most importantly stop candidates who clearly don't have the suport of their colleagues just trying again and again and again til they are elected.

Mrs. Crowe do you have no pride - clearly not!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about Ed Balls?

Not only talented but think of the red top headlines - Balls to the Treasury, Balls to the MOD etc etc. Classic stuff. It would be like adopting the Dong as your unit of currency!

The point is still made though. Change is needed, possibly radical change, but under the current system it can only come from within. And do you honestly think that those with skeletons in their cupboards and their noses in the trough of government largesse are going to deliberately put themselves and their pasts into the hands of the electorate?

The "system" is so discredited little wonder that apathy reigns supreme - just how those in cushy numbers like it.

How about this;

(a)1"a round of elections is completed when all the vacancies have been filled or the Speaker has called for proposals under sub-section (1K)

(b) Once the keys has commenced a round of elections then, subject to paragraph ( c ), that round of elections must be completed on that day.

( c ) A round of elections may be adjourned to the next day once only.

On the order paper of Legco today. Constitution (Amendment) Bill.

Seems to sort that out then?

"Mr Callister can see that his vote has waned, while Mrs Crowe said at the outset that the Keys had had ample opportunity to see what she could do - well they have and they clearly don't want her back."

Two of Mr Callister's votes were absent this morning, another MHK disappeared during the sitting. His vote stood up and Mrs Crowe gained only one vote from between Karran and Malarkey as their candidate had retired from the race. Another spoilt vote, why don't these people grow up FFS! So it's obvious they don't want her and he needs to increase his support somehow and get them there when needed.

She is going again, I only hope either he goes again or we get a new candidate.

She is going again, I only hope either he goes again or we get a new candidate.

It does not matter now because if you sit, I think, three times and fail you get 6 months pay to deaden the blow.

Maybe someone else can comment further but I think that this is the case for outgoing MLC's who stand for re-"election"

Mrs Crowe said at the outset that the Keys had had ample opportunity to see what she could do

Indeed such as voting against the majority of the Keys in Tynwald so that they didn't get to ask more questions during question time a few months back.

Now the boot is on the other shoe and Mrs Crowe wants the majority of the Keys to vote for her. A slim, slim chance of that happening now.

Whereas I am sure Mrs Crowe isn't one to simply butter up to them lot in the lower seats of the House of keys, she surely must have realised that that particular vote of her's would come back to haunt, especially as all those people in the public gallery were there waiting for questions to be answered. Sometimes when in a tricky situation, a lot of respect is gained by facing up to it rather than shirk away.

IoMToday Report

Callister and Crowe to stand for LegCo again

There may be others entering the foray.

/anorak on

I note that the previous IoMToday News Item is wrong in saying "The minimum needed to gain election was 11."

In fact it is 13 votes required for election.

If 11 votes had been achieved by a candidate at the last election it would have represented a majority of the House of Keys there that particular day, and so an election on that candidate only could have been held in order to try and achieve the magic 13.

/anorak off

IoMToday Report

Callister and Crowe to stand for LegCo again

There may be others entering the foray.

/anorak on

I note that the previous IoMToday News Item is wrong in saying "The minimum needed to gain election was 11."

In fact it is 13 votes required for election.

If 11 votes had been achieved by a candidate at the last election it would have represented a majority of the House of Keys there that particular day, and so an election on that candidate only could have been held in order to try and achieve the magic 13.

/anorak off

£250,000 plus prize money at stake!!

Let's hope that there is at least one new candidate to join Crowe and Callister - that should then split the vote enough to once again ensure no winner and then maybe these two will stand aside!

I agree, I would have thought by now these two would have taken the hint, after all it would take someone with the IQ of a lobotomised rocking horse (with piles), not to realise that they wasn,t wanted

Archived