Speeding Fine

The Voice of Reason

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think 45 is just on ther verge of 3 points and 150quid fine?

I got done 4 years ago doing 45 in a 30 (8pm on a sunday towards sulby bridge.. man I'm a menace!) and got 3 points and a £150 fine I think.

Over 45 and its a bit more bother.... might have changed now though.

I did that last year, not going past cyclists at 45 mind. (you mad or what?)

It was on the Old Castletown road away from anyone and only 8 mph over the limit. I genuinely thought it was 40, never mind. The policeman was nice enough and only dong his job after all, if his job is hiding behind a hedge with a ray gun, which it appears to be.

After telling me how naughty I was he told me what the outcome might be, a hefty fine. However he said "if you're lucky and this is your first time, you might get a caution" Caution duly arrived on 3/10/07. A good result and in my opinion the correct thing to do, slap my wrists. I won't do it again.

So, if it's a first offense pray for a caution. Although, 45 in a 30 zone past cyclists who can't possibly have been doing over 15 mph is a bit rapid. I'd start saving up if I were you. About £300 (20 x 15) if you're lucky.

Cyclist thing was a joke. Too late for caution summons is here. Is first offence but got a caution some 18 months ago but that should now be "spent" however human nature being what it is may influence the verdict. Any idea on points on licence?

The coppers followed me home from the pub one night, I was doing 45mph up strang road which is a 20mph road and basically told me never to do it again, he never even bothered to see if i'd been drinking or not. So sometimes it just depends on what mood their in and wether its knocking off time and they really cant be arsed with the hassle.

The fine you are looking at will be in the region of £150.00 which can be decreased or increased depending on the circumstances i.e. any previous convictions, time of day, location etc

You will also receive 3 points on your licence, I would suggest pleading through the Coroner (well I would wouldn’t I) seriously if you are summoned to the Douglas Court you could be sat waiting for hours for your case to be heard. Even at Castletown you could be hanging around for quite a while if we are busy whereas for a fee of £3.30 you can plead through the Coroner which has to be a value for money instead of sitting around losing pay.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me.

Mark

The fine you are looking at will be in the region of £150.00 which can be decreased or increased depending on the circumstances i.e. any previous convictions, time of day, location etc

You will also receive 3 points on your licence, I would suggest pleading through the Coroner (well I would wouldn’t I) seriously if you are summoned to the Douglas Court you could be sat waiting for hours for your case to be heard. Even at Castletown you could be hanging around for quite a while if we are busy whereas for a fee of £3.30 you can plead through the Coroner which has to be a value for money instead of sitting around losing pay.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me.

Mark

Thanks I think I'll do that. my only concern is that the policeman stopping me raised the issue of my offence being comiitted outside a school (even though it was 5.20 pm, well after school closing time). I would not that to be raised as a factor when my level of punishment is determined. Could it be raised? If so how can I make the point about the school being closed if I'm not there to represent myself?

The duty advocate will represent you for free the Coroner wants a small feee. The duty advocate will appear on your behalf, put in a plea in mitigation, which may, or may not help. Turn up 09,30 see duty ad straight awaty and you can leave. take your licence and the summons.

The fine will also possibly depend upon who you appear in front of. If I were advising, which I am not, I would advise between £100 on a good day (and the magistrates) to £200 on a bad day (in front of someone else) with license endorsed and 3 penalty points whatever day

The duty advocate will represent you for free the Coroner wants a small feee. The duty advocate will appear on your behalf, put in a plea in mitigation, which may, or may not help. Turn up 09,30 see duty ad straight awaty and you can leave. take your licence and the summons.

The fine will also possibly depend upon who you appear in front of. If I were advising, which I am not, I would advise between £100 on a good day (and the magistrates) to £200 on a bad day (in front of someone else) with license endorsed and 3 penalty points whatever day

Thanks for this. When i produced my documents at the police station they said I might possibly get away with a caution,depending on how prosecution service felt (I obviously didn't). It all seems a bit arbitrary, dependent on the prevailing mood of those involved in the judicial processing system. Suppose they're only human

Thanks for this. When i produced my documents at the police station they said I might possibly get away with a caution,depending on how prosecution service felt (I obviously didn't). It all seems a bit arbitrary, dependent on the prevailing mood of those involved in the judicial processing system. Suppose they're only human

You could always enter your comments about cyclists in mitigation.

Archived