Speeding Fine

The Voice of Reason

Thanks for this. When i produced my documents at the police station they said I might possibly get away with a caution,depending on how prosecution service felt (I obviously didn't). It all seems a bit arbitrary, dependent on the prevailing mood of those involved in the judicial processing system. Suppose they're only human

You could always enter your comments about cyclists in mitigation.

True, perhaps I could call Mr Sausages as a character witness?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just had a summons for speeding -45 in a 30 area (trying to get past some cyclists). Can anyone advise what sort of punishment I'm looking at?

I would fine you 300.00 pounds and 3 points on your licence and remove 2 of your spark plug leads so you would not do it again.

Thanks I think I'll do that. my only concern is that the policeman stopping me raised the issue of my offence being comiitted outside a school (even though it was 5.20 pm, well after school closing time). I would not that to be raised as a factor when my level of punishment is determined. Could it be raised? If so how can I make the point about the school being closed if I'm not there to represent myself?

There are plenty of school activities that go on past 3:40pm y'know. My young fella goes to fencing after school and that finishes at 6pm, there are numerous dance/martial arts/sports that go on at his school too, all of which finish between 5 and 8pm. Rightly or wrongly I've always been of the opinion that breaking a 30mph limit is worse than any others.

FLIS - doesn't your boy get ENOUGH school during normal hours, that you feel inclined to greedily suck more resources out of an already stretched system. And don't you understand how DANGEROUS it is with people whizzing by at 45mph?

You should be heartily ashamed of yourself for not thinking of the consequences of your selfish actions. And he'll have someone's eye out with that fencing malarkey, WELL before they teach him how to rig barbed wire.

FLIS - doesn't your boy get ENOUGH school during normal hours, that you feel inclined to greedily suck more resources out of an already stretched system. And don't you understand how DANGEROUS it is with people whizzing by at 45mph?

You should be heartily ashamed of yourself for not thinking of the consequences of your selfish actions. And he'll have someone's eye out with that fencing malarkey, WELL before they teach him how to rig barbed wire.

The more time he spends there, the less time he's under my feet innit, and I can get on with running my house as a crack den. I've just got to get the little one out of the house now, I kicked him out to play the other night but he kept coming back crying about being scared of the dark or some shit. I'll drive him to park next time so he can play in the lake.

Thanks I think I'll do that. my only concern is that the policeman stopping me raised the issue of my offence being comiitted outside a school (even though it was 5.20 pm, well after school closing time). I would not that to be raised as a factor when my level of punishment is determined. Could it be raised? If so how can I make the point about the school being closed if I'm not there to represent myself?

There are after school clubs, parent nights etc. I'd be tempted to stop digging, and apologise profusely and take your medicine. Otherwise you'll just look a dangerous inconsiderate driver who thinks he knows better than anyone else (including the cop that stopped him) and hasn't learned anything from this - and the fine will increase.

There are after school clubs, parent nights etc. I'd be tempted to stop digging, and apologise profusely and take your medicine. Otherwise you'll just look a dangerous inconsiderate driver who thinks he knows better than anyone else (including the cop that stopped him) and hasn't learned anything from this - and the fine will increase.

I'm not digging, I hold my hands up - mea culpa and all that and will apologise and take my medicine. Just making the point that imaginary scenarios should not influence level of punishment just the facts (there was no evidence of any after school activities going on). What if I had been driving past a church at the time of the offence - there may not have been a service on at the time but the choir may have been practising or driving past a town hall when there might have been a mums and tots session on?

I'm not digging, I hold my hands up - mea culpa and all that and will apologise and take my medicine. Just making the point that imaginary scenarios should not influence level of punishment just the facts (there was no evidence of any after school activities going on). What if I had been driving past a church at the time of the offence - there may not have been a service on at the time but the choir may have been practising or driving past a town hall when there might have been a mums and tots session on?

Thats exactly why they have 30 limits outside places like that!! Of course they'll take it in to consideration! Seriously, you're being an idiot now.

There's no "if's, but's or maybe's" in court - they strip out all of the emotion and irrelevances and stick to the facts. The 'fact' as they see it is, you were doing 50% over the speed limit in a 30 zone next to a school, and a copper caught you doing it. Your 'time of offence' argument is the same as advocating that if the motorway happens to be quiet you consider it safe to do 105mph or 45 mph down Victoria Street at 6am, or that (as there was no evidence of activity at the school) speed limits should be variable and down to the judgement of the driver - which they are clearly not when signed (red circled signs are orders). Such an argument shows a kind of contempt.

Don't get me wrong, I am against speed limits in general, but not against them outside schools and in built up areas. You say what you like in court or in your letter of course, it's your right, but don't say I didn't warn you ;)

Could it be raised? If so how can I make the point about the school being closed if I'm not there to represent myself?

Which school was it?, after school clubs can run for at least an hour after school........

Regardless of that its a 30mph limit, no excuses you can't miss the signs!

Could it be raised? If so how can I make the point about the school being closed if I'm not there to represent myself?

Which school was it?, after school clubs can run for at least an hour after school........

Regardless of that its a 30mph limit, no excuses you can't miss the signs!

I'm not making excuses - I thought I'd made that clear.

Archived