[BBC News] DJ Kershaw is freed from prison

Newsbot

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is why I retain some sympathy for him.

I don't. If I'd been in prison for 44 days for hassling my ex the first thing I would not do is get pissed, stand in my ex's garden shouting, and then sent a load of iffy texts to her.

You are right. But that is where my sympathy comes from. Nobody thinking clearly would act in that way. He seems hell bent on destroying himself and is incapable of stopping it. And I find that a sad situation.

i think it's more a case of 'if you don't take me back i'll destroy myself and it will be your fault and the kids will blame you' it's just emotional blackmail aimed at his ex. and no wonder she's his ex, who wants to live with a selfish pisshead who can't control himself?? he talks the talk and walks the other way. wanker.

i think it's more a case of 'if you don't take me back i'll destroy myself and it will be your fault and the kids will blame you' it's just emotional blackmail aimed at his ex. and no wonder she's his ex, who wants to live with a selfish pisshead who can't control himself?? he talks the talk and walks the other way. wanker.

Have you considered counselling as a career?

From MR: Kershaw given Ultimatum.

I think 'sending' him off island for a while is a very good judgement, and probably a step in the right direction. The guy needs to get some serious counselling and advice before he wipes out his career too - I wish him luck, but suspect his first major difficulty will be recognising and acknowledging he needs such help. The only colour's he is seeing at the moment are green and red.

I think 'sending' him off island for a while is a very good judgement, and probably a step in the right direction.

Moyle apparently said that he wasn't "officially banning or excluding him from the Island."

This seems to suggest that a court might officially ban or exclude someone from IoM - that seems a bit surprising to me - can they really do that?

I think 'sending' him off island for a while is a very good judgement, and probably a step in the right direction.

Moyle apparently said that he wasn't "officially banning or excluding him from the Island."

This seems to suggest that a court might officially ban or exclude someone from IoM - that seems a bit surprising to me - can they really do that?

That's why I put 'sending' in quotes ;)

AK has not been here that long - but as far as I am aware, provided he has not met the residency (currently live here >5yrs) requirements, they still have that option, though in this case the message was clearly "if you think you are suffering now, f**k off for a bit and get your head sorted, otherwise you'll end up inside for a very long time and you'll really know what suffering can be".

I think it's sometimes offered as an alternative to imprisonment. The defendant agrees to leave the island and not come back for x years and the court agrees not to send him to prison.

I think it's sometimes offered as an alternative to imprisonment. The defendant agrees to leave the island and not come back for x years and the court agrees not to send him to prison.

That sounds remarkably like one of these:-

SEP field

When this first came out I questioned the sense of sending him to prison as like that of 'La Dolce Vita' over something appearing trivial. (it's not often we agree). It now seems that his exaggerated claims are unfounded and I think he deserves whatever he gets, if only to protect his victim (ex partner). His annoyance at being kept in prison and not released early by the relevant authorities (IMO) was correct, because he proved once again, his failure to abide by the conditions of the Court and therefore must have been considered a high risk. (Good call)

It's so obvious that he can't cope with the situation what good is a jail sentence? Think being incarcerated will somehow give him more emotional strength? Or is it more likely to fill him with more bitterness and hatred because it's obvious he needs help and he's not getting it? Jeeeze...

I've pretty much lost any sympathy I may have had with the guy.

On "self destruct" for sure...

You've no kids of your own then? Otherwise you might have some sympathy for someone who is struggling to get to see his.

I'm astonished at this tacit admission that the Manx "justice" system has completely failed in this case. Jailing him was obviously the worst thing to do but they did it anyway. And it's just pathetic how so many are surprised that the only difference it has made is to make a bad situation worse. Don't forget that despite what has gone before his ex reported a chance encounter as a breach of conditions knowing full well what the results would be. Barring him from pubs was a master stroke as well. What, he can't drink at home or something? All it did was exclude him from company probably when he needed it most.

I'm not into "blamestorming" but the way he has been treated is so clearly inadequate someone, somewhere, should be asking why is it that those who need protecting from themselves are treated as criminals instead?

Until this came into the public domain, I had no idea who Andy Kershaw was. Therefore, I can’t help feeling that his ‘celebrity status’ has managed to obscured many of the facts of what is, undoubtedly, a tragic domestic story.

The man’s partner has rejected him. Instead of accepting it and trying to rebuild his life he has, like so many others, ‘dived into a bottle.’

His alleged concern for his children has been drowned in an ocean of self pity and a refusal to accept that any degree of fault can possibly be laid at his door. His kids will, no doubt, be appalled to see their father deteriorate into an alcohol-fuelled human wreck and, as far as I can see, his ex-partner has maintained a reasonable level of dignified silence – at least as far as media coverage is concerned.

Anyone can fall apart in this way when things go wrong, but his apparent determination to turn himself into some kind of wronged martyr ought, by now, to have removed whatever public sympathy was directed his way.

Clearly oblivious – or numbed by alcohol - to the pain and anguish that he has inflicted on those he professes to love, he has wallowed in drunken anger and self-pity.

Whilst I hope that he can manage to restore some degree of balance to his life, I think that the compassion that has been directed towards him would be better offered to his ex-partner and the children – the real ‘victims’ in this sorry affair.

I think that the compassion that has been directed towards him would be better offered to his ex-partner and the children – the real ‘victims’ in this sorry affair.

So how is she going to explain it to the kids? It's obvious he couldn't cope with the situation the ex put him in and she used that to have him jailed.

It's a downward spiral. He can't cope, so she won't let him see the kids, so he gets worse, so she won't let him see the kids etc etc etc.

Lose / lose.

I'm astonished at this tacit admission that the Manx "justice" system has completely failed in this case. Jailing him was obviously the worst thing to do but they did it anyway

I'm sure UK jails also have their share of inmates in similar circumstances, it's hardly a unique case. I'd hoped you'd stopped your boring hobby of using anything you can to beat the Island with.

He defied an order of the court to leave his ex partner alone, he defied the order and the court jailed him.

PK - perhaps his ex couldn't cope with the situation HE put HER and their children in. You don't know the half of it.

His 'meltdown' has as much to do with Andy Kershaw not being able to get what he wants and treat people how he wants as much as it has to do with not being able to see his kids. He DID have complete access but couldn't stop getting drunk and being abusive.

Should she and the kids have to walk through landmines every single day because he can't cope with the consequences of his own behaviour and is intent on blaming everyone but himself? Someone had to keep on being a responsible parent in the thick of all this and that's exactly what she's done, making tough decisions and keeping her mouth shut about the whole sorry affair - for the sake of the kids.

Lonan3's assessment is absolutely 100% spot on.

I'm astonished at this tacit admission that the Manx "justice" system has completely failed in this case. Jailing him was obviously the worst thing to do but they did it anyway

I'm sure UK jails also have their share of inmates in similar circumstances, it's hardly a unique case. I'd hoped you'd stopped your boring hobby of using anything you can to beat the Island with.

I'm sure UK jails have their share as well but it's not the point, is it? The point is that those in similar circs probably shouldn't be there either. But this thread is not about those others in UK jails, is it? The clue is in the name in the title "DJ Kershaw". See it? Well done...

He defied an order of the court to leave his ex partner alone, he defied the order and the court jailed him.

I thought the encounter that led to the jailing was a chance one? Not that it excuses what has gone before but if he was jailed due to a chance encounter it's hardly justice is it?

PK - perhaps his ex couldn't cope with the situation HE put HER and their children in. You don't know the half of it.

His 'meltdown' has as much to do with Andy Kershaw not being able to get what he wants and treat people how he wants as much as it has to do with not being able to see his kids. He DID have complete access but couldn't stop getting drunk and being abusive.

Should she and the kids have to walk through landmines every single day because he can't cope with the consequences of his own behaviour and is intent on blaming everyone but himself? Someone had to keep on being a responsible parent in the thick of all this and that's exactly what she's done, making tough decisions and keeping her mouth shut about the whole sorry affair - for the sake of the kids.

There are always two sides to these stories. Firstly I don't think jailing the father of your children on a chance encounter (if that's what it was) is the action of a responsible parent. There is also the question of whether or not the children would ever be at risk while with him - something that has simply not been touched on but should be the only basis on which he should be prevented from seeing them - and the answer to which is almost certainly "don't know". His histrionics don't help that's for sure. Secondly you said it yourself "because he can't cope" he needs help, not a jail sentence.

Archived