Isle Of Man Pockets Motorola’s Covert Tetra Terminals

andrew

Motorola to supply Isle of Man Department of Home Affairs with covert TETRA radios

DOUGLAS, Isle of Man – 5th March 2008 – Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT) has been chosen by the Isle of Man Government Department of Home Affairs to supply a fleet of covert TETRA terminals. Motorola will supply the covert devices in mid 2008, which will be used by the Isle of Man Constabulary and Customs & Excise.

Motorola worked closely with a number of public safety users including the Isle of Man Department of Home Affairs, Isle of Man Constabulary and Isle of Man Customs & Excise during the design process to ensure it delivered a covert TETRA radio that met the special needs of the users. The new TCR1000 TETRA Covert Radio will help improve operational effectiveness as the small ergonomic design means officers do not feel as though they are wearing a radio, helping them to disguise their equipment during covert operations.

“At last we have a covert radio that is fit for purpose,” says Robert Williamson, technical director, Isle of Man Department of Home Affairs. “TETRA is a very appropriate communications technology for policing activity, but until now we have not had a suitable form factor for covert operations. Motorola’s innovative TETRA radio design will be of real benefit in everyday covert activities. Our users are delighted with the new covert set.”

The small, lightweight design of the TCR1000 Covert TETRA terminal incorporates many innovative features to address the unique requirements of covert users such as discrete audio, radio control and battery lifetime. Despite the compact design, the Motorola covert TETRA radio performs to the same high standards as more mainstream Motorola TETRA terminals and offers excellent functionality including options for integrated GPS and end to end encryption.

Manuel Torres, vice president and general manager, Motorola Government & Public Safety, EMEA added: “Our close collaboration with the Isle of Man authorities has been a vital element in producing such a compact, powerful and well-suited covert radio. Those that’ll actually be using the radios have been very enthusiastic about the radio during the extensive and robust evaluation process, and we’re rightly proud of having developed such a well-received product.”

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/d...Id=9376_9305_23

There are several websites that claim that TETRA is bad. The truth is that no-one can say it is 100% safe, but that goes for items such as mobile phones as well.

When they first came out, people claimed that the radiation pumping out of the handsets was dangerous and could cause cancer. Some people may remember little foil stickers that you could stick onto the earpiece in order to "deflect" the radiation away from your head!

Once TETRA was introduced in the UK, people said that it gave them more headaches. This is usually down to most forces requiring people to wear earpieces as more confidential information would be transmitted that on the old system and they didn't want everyone who happened to be near another officer hearing what was being said. This means that the sound was going straight into their ear and also Tetra is so much clearer (when I first heard someone talking over the vehicle set, it sounded as if they were sitting in the passenger seat, it was that clear) so it also took the brain a while to get accustomed to it. There is also a "bleep" at the end of every radio message which was quite loud. On the UK system they turned it down so it didn't cause as much a problem as when it was first introduced.

There are hundreds of thousands of users on the UK system now and statisticaly some of them will develop cancer, but how do you prove that it is caused by Tetra?

I use Tetra over here and can honestly say that I don't have a problem with it. There are lots of experts in the UK debating this. If someone suddenly said that using a mobile phone increases the risk of getting cancer, would everyone throw their phones away? I don't think so.

I don't know about TETRA, but I worked with an expert in Mobile Phone technology from Lucent - the microwave thing is not really that safe - but the convenience of mobile phones means that - well... (wonder why you ear might get warm from holding a mini microwave next to your brain?). I've also seen EEG scans of the effect these can have. Still I use a mobile phone - but no more than I have to.

Tinfoil earpieces!!! lol There's one or two wearing those in MF!

Its not really the freq. that causes the concerns.

Its the pulsing of a TETRA set (polling the base stations to update locations) that causes the worry.

Just like mobiles, they ramp up the output when polling - until it gets a good signal report. Take a TETRA into a 'dead' area and it sits on your chest/in your pocket polling away on full power.

RF burns on any freq. bloody hurt, RF burns on microwave freq. hurt long after the source has gone away!

I don't know about TETRA, but I worked with an expert in Mobile Phone technology from Lucent - the microwave thing is not really that safe - but the convenience of mobile phones means that - well... (wonder why you ear might get warm from holding a mini microwave next to your brain?). I've also seen EEG scans of the effect these can have. Still I use a mobile phone - but no more than I have to.

Tinfoil earpieces!!! lol There's one or two wearing those in MF!

I have complained about headaches after using a mobile for years, If I put a phone to my ear to make a call,like you do,I feel pain in the side of my head almost instantly followed be a feeling of tiredness then feeling like shit. Therefore when i use my phone( as i have to for work) i use it on hands free/speaker phone.

I have had a mobile phone ever since they came out and used to spend literally hours on it a day, now i either text or use land line if available or like i said, speaker phone.

I have gone private and had MRI scans because of this problem at great expence to rule anything else out so its not something i am imagining,

Anybody else have the same trouble?

Archived