[BBC News] Furniture dumped at beauty spot

Newsbot

Lazy fucking arseholes, they have put the rubbish in a vehicle to move it to the mines so why not take it to the amenity site.

Cockheads.

Have to agree really - not sure why it would be any more effort to take to the tip than leave it there.

Personally, if I was even considering doing something as gypo as this, the 'What if I get spotted and get done factor' would massively outweigh any minor inconvenience of driving another couple of miles to the nearest tip, nevermind the actual environmental aspect of it.

Have to agree really - not sure why it would be any more effort to take to the tip than leave it there.

Personally, if I was even considering doing something as gypo as this, the 'What if I get spotted and get done factor' would massively outweigh any minor inconvenience of driving another couple of miles to the nearest tip, nevermind the actual environmental aspect of it.

You can only guess that whoever did it has a commercial vehicle and they didn't want to pay a tipping charge.

Whilst not condoning their actions the situation is, or used to be, that if you arrive in a commercial vehicle, even if it's your own, they want to charge a tipping charge. If the same stuff arrives in a series of cars and estates there is no charge.

Most sites have a notice about not allowing commercial vehicles to enter. Maybe they should look at the rubbish and not the conveyance (to a point that is). There is a system to avoid this happening on specific occasions.

Every piece of electrical equipment has a serial number so tracing the original owner should not be too difficult, try looking at furniture shops for people that have recently bought a sofa for instance, very costly but what cost can you put on natural 'beauty' of the island?

Every piece of electrical equipment has a serial number so tracing the original owner should not be too difficult,

Eh? How would that work then?

try looking at furniture shops for people that have recently bought a sofa for instance, very costly but what cost can you put on natural 'beauty' of the island?

Or, you could just get the commisioners to clear it up - it's not that big a deal.

Reminds me of the set of Spike Milligan's film "The Bedsitting Room" which starred a whole host of British film stars. Do try and see it.

Does anyone else remember it?

Yes I do. A superb bit of Spike Milligans take on the world. Loved it.

Every piece of electrical equipment has a serial number so tracing the original owner should not be too difficult,

Eh? How would that work then?

try looking at furniture shops for people that have recently bought a sofa for instance, very costly but what cost can you put on natural 'beauty' of the island?

Or, you could just get the commisioners to clear it up - it's not that big a deal.

It is that big a deal though, if you condone these actions they will continue and expand. The costs of the commissioners clearing it will reflect on your rates as well. Someone said they didn't want Queens Pier refurbished because they didn't want their taxes spent on it, could this be the same person who is now willing to spend his taxes on clearing up other peoples crap?

Point one, to enact the manufacturers guarantee the item has to be registered with that manufacturer. Also a receipt would have been issued including details of the item.

But it's unlikely people will dump things that are within the guarantee. You would have to enact law that made people responsible for recording details of buyers of anything they ever sell. That just isn't workable. And clearing up the mess isn't condoning it, it's just the easiest and cheapest way of dealing with it. It's fairly rare on the island anyway.

I had a visit from a chap from DOLGE about the case I reported and he reckons fly tipping on the island is out of hand. It's over a month now since I told them and the commissioners and the stuff is still lying there and i'm still waiting to make a statement. Three years ago I reported a heap of asbestos dumped in the same place and that's still there as well.

Archived