Ffearless Ffinlo

Moghrey Mie

The Green Column in Manx Tails

How refreshing to have somebody like ffinlo Costain who is willing to tackle Tony Brown and John Shimmin over their lack of leadership on Climate Change and sustainable development.

It makes a change from the usual nodding dog journalism fed on a regular diet of self-congratulatory press releases.

How refreshing to have somebody like ffinlo Costain who is willing to tackle Tony Brown and John Shimmin over their lack of leadership on Climate Change and sustainable development.

It makes a change from the usual nodding dog journalism fed on a regular diet of self-congratulatory press releases.

I just chuck manx tails in the (recycling) bin now - it's become a newsletter for tree-hugging enviro-fascists and deranged new-agers who think you can cure cancer by waving a crystal in its vague direction or by religning your chakras to increase the flow of qi.

How they can reconcile their so-called 'green' credentials with the self-congratulatory tales of people abseiling down kilimanjaro for charidee (flying first class and staying in 5 star hotels no doubt) and endless pictures of fat middle-aged people squeezed into evening dress is beyond me.

No, the Island does not need statism such as this. It is not the place of either Tony Brown nor John Shimmin to take executive action over sustainable development or climate change. The idea that this sort of action is limited only by a lack of political will is a myth perpetuated by lefty Friends of the Earth types. The Island cannot be reliably powered by wind power. Fact. We need the gas station as back-up and for grid stability anyway, so why bother to spend the money on wind turbines that are only economical in the UK due to Government subisidy? Wave is an immature tech and tidal is inconstant and expensive.

This is the same ffinlo Costain who claims the Government should provide massive subsidies for domestic wind turbines which will do nowt to lower carbon emissions. And the one thinks a competative energy market is viable on the Isle of Man. And that the MEA should pay way over the odds for electricity that is generated intermittently and when it is needed the least just because it comes from homeowners with some solar panels.

In fairness I have not read the article, as they don't deliver it to the Midlands, but I doubt it strays too far from the Guardianista 'make people follow my agenda or we are doomed' spiel I have read in previous editions.

I have travelled round Europe a fair bit recently. Every once in a while, I come across a big wind farm. Can anybody tell me if these countries have got it wrong? Or is there another reason why we don't use that relentless wind that manages to depress me occasionally? (Or is the monopoly scenario the REAL reason?)

(By the way, I heard a whisper that a large utility company with historic financial problems had the option of taking advantage of an investment deal in 2007 where the high interest rate at the time would have mean't major gains. I believe that this opportunity was not grasped and unfortunately, their debts are considerably higher than what they should have been.......millions I have been told.)

Archived