Pag Has Id Card Concerns

Albert Tatlock

From MR: PAG has ID card concerns.

This follows yesterday's news that the Government has been accused of introducing identity cards by stealth:

clicky "after it was revealed the first of the controversial IDs will be issued early next year. Workers in sensitive jobs will be required to apply for the compulsory cards in 2009, despite the Home Office postponing the overall scheme until 2012. Some 100,000 British airport staff and others working in sensitive locations are expected to be affected by the move.

It is thought that “airside” workers including airline staff, baggage handlers as well as workers in duty-free shops, bars and cafes would all have to apply. Shadow home secretary David Davis said: “It is inconceivable that these workers would not already have full ID verification.

“Therefore the question has to be will this add to airport security or is it a way of getting the British public used to an ID card by stealth - despite an explicit promise from a former home secretary that this programme would not be rolled out in a compulsory fashion without a vote in the House of Commons.”

This approach, IMO, is likely to lead to, as time goes by, more and more worker groups being 'listed' as required to compulsorily carry a centralised government database ID card. For example, people carrying out work for or on behalf of the government.

This may well affect my own job shortly, so, even having being checked and double checked etc. I will soon be likely to have to, quite literally, choose to 'put my money where my mouth is' on the ID card issue - which I fully intend to do when it affects me.

I have an ID card - proves I am who I am, I rarely use it, it stops other people pretenting to be me.

It's no big deal at all.

More concerning are the effing CCTV cameras everywhere.

I have an ID card - proves I am who I am, I rarely use it, it stops other people pretenting to be me.

It's no big deal at all.

I do too for work - but, as yours, it's not linked to a centralised government database where every transaction using the card is monitored and recorded as is proposed.

That is the 'big deal' IMO - the government are accountable to us, not vice-versa.

ID cards.....total and dangerous waste of time and money unless they can assist in some way that no one has explained to me.

For instance, will the Financial Supervision Commission allow banks and other financial institutions to accept these cards and no longer insist that copies of passports and a utility bill must be produced. I have had to do the latter recently and to have them certified as a true copy, neither my bank nor the Government Registry would do it, meant paying an Advocate £40.00 to verify who I am in connection with an investment that I have held for 20 years!!

It's no big deal at all.

I already have a ID card it is called a passport, why do i need another

Archived