[BBC News] Ferry sails early to avoid gales

Newsbot

Welcome back Superseacat 2 Viking. Once again your suitability for the Irish Sea is proven

*awaits Steam Packet we were right all the time statement*

What passenger vessels are suitable to sail in gales?

Basicly anything pre 1998 like the following......

Mona's Isle(5), Manxman(2), Lady of Man(2), Ben my Chree(4), King Orry(4&5), Snaefell(5), Manx Maid(3), Mona's Queen(5),Tynwald(6)

:) SPC vessels of the past clicky :)

I think SSC2 is simply not allowed to go out in waves of more than 3m (or was it 3.5?)

Been on the lady in a force 10 and didn't feel a thing - all depends on the wind direction as well, and if the boat vessel is up for the job or simply sailing in the wrong sea...

I think passenger comfort/tolerance is considered more than it used to be too.

SSC2/Viking is restricted to 3 metres "Average Wave Height", which normally equates to a force 6 maximum wind. Ben and others will normally only cancel if the wind is forecast to exceed force 9 - and this would go for the Lady if she were still around in these parts.

Comments from Saturday morning were that "people were being sick all over the place", and that it was "extremely lively". There were people being sick on the return journey, too, and if you listened to Alex Brindley on the radio this morning, there were a few being unwell on Sunday evening's trip from Liverpool. So much for passenger comfort.

Are people really expected to tolerate this sort of masochism in the interests of a fast crossing?

Are people really expected to tolerate this sort of masochism in the interests of a fast crossing?

Don,t you mean ------In the interests of saving £20 million or so ?

I think passenger comfort/tolerance is considered more than it used to be too.

Who knows? I fly sweetie...

There were people being sick on the return journey, too, and if you listened to Alex Brindley on the radio this morning, there were a few being unwell on Sunday evening's trip from Liverpool. So much for passenger comfort.

I get sick listening to Alex Brindley.

Some people will always get sick on the ferry even when it's just a little choppy.

if you listened to Alex Brindley on the radio this morning, there were a few being unwell on Sunday evening's trip from Liverpool.

Maybe those were just the ones that spoke to him. Its enough to make me heave just thinking about it. Talking to Alex Brindley.

Archived