[BBC News] Storms bring down trees in island

Newsbot

Heavy rain and strong winds lash the Isle of Man, causing problems on the roads when trees are brought down.

That wasn't storms, just gales, with the occasional stronger gust.

Tonight, however, will be a different matter - "BATTEN down the hatches, the Met Office has warned as storm force winds are on the way."

They are saying it might be almost as bad as the storm we had in January 2005, when damage was substantial.

The Steam Packet has cancelled Ben's sailing tonight already.

Heavy rain and strong winds lash the Isle of Man, causing problems on the roads when trees are brought down.

Tonight, however, will be a different matter - "BATTEN down the hatches, the Met Office has warned as storm force winds are on the way."

They are saying it might be almost as bad as the storm we had in January 2005, when damage was substantial.

Oh dear - lost half my (dandara) roof last time.

Looks like the wind speed will peak in the early hours.....map

Looks like we'll be getting the worst of it, too.

And the window in my living room is held on with parcel tape at the moment!

Doesn't sound too bad that.... if it falls out, you can just stick it back on again.

Anyone up for kite surfing this evening?

The most I have kitesurfed in over here is around 40mph gusting 45 to 50, thats with a 9m kite (anything over 45-50mph and it starts to get a bit mental). So I'd be out as it stands now - although it's a little dark this evening so maybe not. Theres some video knocking around somewhere, I'll see if I can track it down.

Theres some video knocking around somewhere, I'll see if I can track it down.

Waddayamean 'track it down'? Grab your gear - I've got the cameras ready :)

Archived